Clubby Daughters outta Angus Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Warrior10

We run a strong Angus commercial herd and I am looking to breed a handful of our females trying to make replacement heifers to put in my clubby herd. Any suggestions, really open to anything. These cows are mostly larger framed and could use some hair and bone. Thanks in advance.

Gargan

who made who, dr who, chill factor, and any meyer influenced bulls. there are more but these come to my mind.

wyatt

chill factor and carney man if you dont mind a little color and northern improvment

could also try a good shorti (pop)

TYD

I kinda agree with bs If you cross your angus with a clean shorty or simmi bull and then gave those heifers a shot of Maine I think those would really click with a terminal bull but just depends on how many years you want to devote to it

Warrior10

Cut the BS said:
breed them to clean maine or sim bulls-- for keeper daughters-- then come back with a carrier terminal sire.

No use shooting yourself in the foot, before you load the gun.
Great point.

jmb1498

I'm breeding 3/4 AN 1/4 Simmi cows to Predator and Open Bar to hopefully make some maternal cows to go clubby on.  My unpapered AN cows are going to sexed heifer Mo Better.  All of these cows would be bigger framed, good fronted and sound angus based (NI, Midland, Saug, Ext)

Just the program BS suggested

wyatt

jmb1498 said:
I'm breeding 3/4 AN 1/4 Simmi cows to Predator and Open Bar to hopefully make some maternal cows to go clubby on.  My unpapered AN cows are going to sexed heifer Mo Better.  All of these cows would be bigger framed, good fronted and sound angus based (NI, Midland, Saug, Ext)

Just the program BS suggested
sounds like you should try the bull pale face him and predator cross really nice!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
LOTS of people on SP say you can't raise a champion on good Angus cows ,will haft  to admit this wasn't a steer show , but this heifer was out  of  a WOODHILL FORSIGHT daughter and you will see more good heifers like this heifer out of her sire ...  These calves will all be great cattle to sell at the sale barn in a group or pick a black one or a smoke one to go to the shows with ... Her sire is out of Carnac and a good registered CHAROLAIS  cow that has raised a purebred Charolais bull that has also raised some National division Champions ..... The sire of this heifer is Muddy Water  and got some more just  as good as she is and they might make better cows than show heifers ....GREAT dispositions, add bone & hair  with capacity to go with a female look .....

Attachments

• Fred Chi Email_7675.jpg
    Fred Chi Email_7675.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 251

Simmgal

There was just a post with a picture of a Climax daughter that looks pretty good. She was out of an Angus cow. That seems like a good starting point to me, but I'm not a clubby person. Depends on if you want a SimAngus base, or a mainly clubby base. Just my 2 cents.

Ausley Family Farms

I was just about to suggest Climax. Seems to be working really well on Angus cows. Going to breed several to him this year. Have 3 heifers and on bull out of him and Angus cows. Not to impressed with the bull but he is finally hitting his stride as a yearling. The heifers are where this bull shines as far as I can tell. We have several stout made OCC Anchor daughters and grand daughters that I think he will add some extension too.

McM93

Freddy said:
LOTS of people on SP say you can't raise a champion on good Angus cows ,will haft  to admit this wasn't a steer show , but this heifer was out   of  a WOODHILL FORSIGHT daughter and you will see more good heifers like this heifer out of her sire ...  These calves will all be great cattle to sell at the sale barn in a group or pick a black one or a smoke one to go to the shows with ... Her sire is out of Carnac and a good registered CHAROLAIS  cow that has raised a purebred Charolais bull that has also raised some National division Champions ..... The sire of this heifer is Muddy Water  and got some more just  as good as she is and they might make better cows than show heifers ....GREAT dispositions, add bone & hair  with capacity to go with a female look .....
That is a really nice cowy looking heifer. Don't have any experience with MW, but looks like Freddy might know something I did not. I know it sounds really simple, but I always divide mine into bigger cows and smaller cows...whether I am trying to breed maternally or clubbie. An example I plan to use is pairing Yellow Jacket (on the smaller cows) with BK Sting (on the bigger cows) on a group this spring trying to make some char-colored replacements. I have not jumped totally on the Charolais bandwagon, but I do live in the South...What I am trying to say, there will be more differences in frame in your cows than you may think when you really start make breeding decisions. I think the toughest deal right now is getting replacements that are chubby and fat legged (for lack of a better term). Many of these old standby deals are not going to make them heavy enough boned IMO. Three bulls that peak my interest for your scenario are Big Guns, Simple Man and Timesaver (I could easily see me using Big Guns (on bigger cows) and Hairy Bear (on smaller cows which I have already used him and liked this breeding). I would really love to see more progeny out of them, they seem to be to be moderate and heavy boned. I also think that you need to keep your birthweights under control while breeding for replacements. The terminal generation will not be moderate calving. Another piece of advice (my advice and $1.50 will still buy a Coke in some places) would be to use a really good Angus cleanup bull, so you will not breed yourself out of good commercial Angus replacements like I have in the past...Smart money would be to breed half of them to WMW and take the advice on here for the other half.... (lol)