Clubby Sexed Semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

idahoag

Where can one go to find sexed semen for clubby bulls?  I have searched the archives on Steer Planet, but haven't really found a good source.  From what I have read, there aren't a lot of options and it is more expensive.......

ctroidl

Does it really matter what you get, either way for the most part the calf is going to be terminal. Unless your promoting a bull or trying to make a donor what's the point of using sexed semen. I would assume there really isn't much of a market for it.

idahoag

I'm just looking at my options.  I want steers for my kids' fair animals and nothing else.  The last couple years I have gotten about 75% heifers and I don't want to keep any clubby heifers as replacements.

CAB

I think that your best bet would be to give both Lautner's and Roger's a call to see if they have ever put any sexed male semen up on any of their bulls. You could try to give Transova a call. They sex a lot of semen and could possibly give you some ideas. They actually have some very good bulls of their own also.

Carlson Cattle

CAB said:
I think that your best bet would be to give both Lautner's and Roger's a call to see if they have ever put any sexed male semen up on any of their bulls. You could try to give Transova a call. They sex a lot of semen and could possibly give you some ideas. They actually have some very good bulls of their own also.

how much does trans ova charge per straw to sex semen?

CAB

No, but here is a toll free # that you should be able to get some answers for all of us. 800-999-3586

idahoag

Well, I found out what I expected from the beginning.  Apex had one bull with sexed semen but it was heifer only for $125/straw.  Rodgers only had BIM for $350/straw....more than I want to spend for a county fair in Idaho.  And Lautner replied to an email and said they could sex semen if I told them which bull.  Unfortunately, I didn't hear back from them as I was trying to ask them which bulls would work for my situation. 

MCC

You might try to call Sexing Technologies. 936.870.3960. I don't know if they are still in business. Their web site is out of date. I talked to them a couple of years ago and they talked like they were going to do some work for Lautners. I don't know if they did or not. The sire directory they have on line doesn't have any clubbies in it but like I say it hasn't been updated in a couple of years.

hntwhitetail

I think it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 or 10 straws conventional for a straw of conventional.  So I'd say you should be looking @ 160 to $250/straw

hntwhitetail

Transova can sex the semen for you if you get it to them.  It may also be an option to find some sexed male embryo's.  But that could also be pricey.  I also would like to find some male sexed semen for a reasonable cost, but this could be the best option to buy 10 straws then have trans or someone else sex it and refreeze for you.