Colby Community College Bull Test sale in Kansas

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

the bull associated with lot 21 i think is the sire of two of the lots, and is not actually for sale.

shortybreeder

I googled the sire of lot 21, saskvalley image 12x, and it took me to Bo's Shorthorn website, and the picture in the catalog matches the picture of the Image bull. So knabe is correct, that bull is not the actual bull for sale.

bedrock

Ive called 3 different bull test stations 2 east of the Mississippi 1 west and all 3 laughed when purebred shorthorns were mentioned.... Last place i called , he said shorthorn?  We dont have a market for show bulls...... i then told him that the type of shorthorn bulls i was calling about entering were strickly commercial type shorthorns , and his next comment was theres still some around?

aj

I looked at the bulls. Lot 20 is a high performing big framed bull that seemed to show a big ole gut on him. Hell he won the adj of the whole test....4.31. He showed a little crest to his neck that I like. He may be out of a bigger type cow. I was disappointed a bit in his scrotal size.....I viewed him on a cold windy day. He's pretty damn solid. Hope he sells ok for Bernie. I would have made him a touch thicker in the lower quarter.

mark tenenbaum

aj said:
I looked at the bulls. Lot 20 is a high performing big framed bull that seemed to show a big ole gut on him. Hell he won the adj of the whole test....4.31. He showed a little crest to his neck that I like. He may be out of a bigger type cow. I was disappointed a bit in his scrotal size.....I viewed him on a cold windy day. He's pretty damn solid. Hope he sells ok for Bernie. I would have made him a touch thicker in the lower quarter./// Thank you for the clarification-hes obviously the one I was talking about-EVEN I CAN TELL THE DIFFERANCE BETWEEN A 4-5 YEAR OLD MATURE BULL-and a long yearling LOL. O0

aj

Lot 20 could be one hell of a buy for some one. I bet the price will be better than right on him.

Mark H

I bet the prices on some of the bulls will be very reasonable even though I don't think they will be good buys due to very low performance evident in at least half the bulls. Any bull with either a an actual or adjusted yearling weight of under 900 LBs in the northern plains should be culled-period.  Do these people have any minimum performance standards?  If so what are they?

aj

The bull test is set up on the grow safe system that measures feed efficiency. They have a record of pounds gain per pounds eaten. I would say that is ahead of your definition of performance by 100 years. I guess I can't speak for CCC or any of the producers who put bulls in the thing. Its a small setup I think that they can only handle 40 bulls total. Performance has so many possible meanings in my book. Pounds weaned per cow exposed would be my definition.

aj

I don't know what the ration was........it was not a show feed ration I am assuming.

Mark H

My comments are based on the reality that a bull needs to be at least say 1100 before you can use him to breed cows or he will get beat up in a multiple bull situation and if he is that small we has little reserves to draw on during the breeding season and fewer cows will be bred as a result.
If these bulls are being fed on a feed efficiency program then why aren't they promoting it?  No claim for a special management is made in the catalog.  In any event, slower growing cattle have a large handicap to over come faster growing cattle do not namely the slower grower will incur higher maintenance feed costs to get to given body weight/composition since it takes them longer to get to the end point.
The "breeders" of the lower performing bulls would have been better off cutting the calves then selling them and giving the check to the school. They likely would be money ahead since they don't have to promote poor quality bulls and send them to the packer that way.  Some nice balancer ans simangus bulls in the mix however.

aj

Don't know what to tell you friend. Sounds like you are the smartest person in the room. I will never blast some one for entering bulls in a bull test station, or a pen feed out in steers. It takes a bit of guts and put something out their in a public setting to be tested. I stand corrected. Kansas the number 2 or 4th leading state in the union(depending how you evaluate)......in beef production apparently sucks. But we do have coach Snyder. Bahahahahah

r.n.reed

Too bad they don't give the frame scores at least I couldn't find them.In general a 900 lb 4 frame yearling  will have a better chance of survival than an 1100lb 7 frame bull.Reading the footnotes was very revealing of the priorities the commercial cattleman has compared to the typical Shorthorn catalog footnotes.The #1 recurring theme was structure,flex,soundness etc. I was not too impressed with the offering myself on many levels and struck by how feminine many of the bulls looked.The Shorthorns made a good representation for the breed.Hats off to BO Shorthorns for putting them out there

aj

I don't think they had a test last year so its kind of a start up deal in some ways. They had 20 kids involved with the project as an educational project. I assume they will have additional data sale day.....April 2nd. It looked like to me the bulls had a rough out clip job and they had a shaved area that indicated to me they were sona grammed or what ever. Lot 20 is worthy of mention in my book.

mark tenenbaum

aj said:
I don't think they had a test last year so its kind of a start up deal in some ways. They had 20 kids involved with the project as an educational project. I assume they will have additional data sale day.....April 2nd. It looked like to me the bulls had a rough out clip job and they had a shaved area that indicated to me they were sona grammed or what ever. Lot 20 is worthy of mention in my book.//// I agree : You know he hasn't been on a self feeder since weaning but has outperformed what could be a MAJORITY of the sale bulls I see  in the last couple weeks sales-Although some sales don't have any weights posted whatsoever BW, WEANING, YEARLING,wt CURRANT WT  NADA  - O0