Cold weather gear

Help Support Steer Planet:

djbsimmy

Cold weather isnt far away and sometimes my gloves, boots and coveralls just arent warm enough.  Any favorite brands of insulated boots, gloves and base layers that are worth the extra money? Especially anything thats easy to move in, not so bulky.

wonderchic

UNDER ARMOUR.  Their base layers are the absolute best.  You can wear the cold gear under your clothes and not have to be limited on movement or bulky like old school long john type stuff.  It really is worth the money.  I would suggest the 'Fitted' rather than the 'Compression' version.  Not so strangling tight.  And as a personal opinion, I don't like the mock turtleneck style, I like the regular t shirt neck...I think the mock is too tight.  You won't regret the money spent.

KSanburg

Kenetrek boots seem to be very good, lite and not real bulky but yet warm and dry. I think a boot dryer to dry your boots through the night is especially helpful too and you will be happier with what ever footwear you have in general. I agree with the under armour but russel and nike make great products as well.

paj315

Under Armour or Nike compression base layers. Usually can find the Nike stuff on sale a lot cheaper than the UA stuff. For boots I like the MUCK brand boots, easy to move around in very warm and comfortable.

LindseysMaine_Angus

djbsimmy said:
Thank you, thats exactly the kind of feedback I needed!  Anything for cold toes?
socks. lol im kidding. But layer your socks like 2 pairs... I just bought a pair of Muck CHORE insulated water proof boots.

angus214

We love the Under Armour it is great I have found good deals on ebay for it also. We also use Muck boots and love them. We put feet warmers in our boots also/

AAOK

djbsimmy said:
Thank you, thats exactly the kind of feedback I needed!  Anything for cold toes?

Thinsulate & Gore-Tex combined are still the best thing going to stay warm and dry. The point everyone seems to go wrong with keeping their feet warm are the correct socks. NEVER, NEVER put cotton socks next to your feet. Cotton makes your feet sweat, and get cold. Ideally start with a high-bulk Orlon sock next to your foot with an All Wool sock on the outside.  If you can't find Orlon, use Nylon.

Shoes/Boots - Never wear the sames shoes 2 days in a row.  They need a day to air out (dry out). Boot dryers are good, but a day off is better.

FYI, I put in 26 years in the Work/Western clothing business.

jbzdad

try lined leather gloves... or use a glove liner inside the leather glove  .. the leather seems to cut the wind and the liner helps with warmth... but I am talking oklahoma kansas cold... not michigan cold

GONEWEST

Muck boots "Wetland" easily the warmest practical boot available. Comfortable to -20.  Worth three times what they cost as far as I am concerned.

GoWyo

nylon/wool blend liner socks under wool hunting socks and boots big enough so that the sock combo is not snug - snug boots make cold feet no matter what socks you use - a little sloppy fitting is much warmer - can add another pair of socks to get boots to fit if needed.  Carhartt insulated bibs with liner shirt and light wool sweater under the straps.  Can add a hooded sweatshirt if need the extra warmth.  Carhartt hooded jacket.  Silk wild rag around neck.  Scotch cap or engineers hat with ear flaps.  Lined leather gloves that are big enough that they are little sloppy.  We get a lot of wind, so hoods are essential around here.  Silk wild rag keeps the wind from blowing in above the jacket zipper.

lightnin4

I prefer Patagonia to Under Armour and most other base layers.  I don't like the feel of UA fabric.  The Patagonia isn't a compression type base layer either and you can choose levels of warmth like with UA.  Love my Smartwool socks too. 

rf21970

As you can glean from most of these posts-Don't wear anything cotton. Especially close to your skin. Under Armor or any of the the other "technical" base layers are great and so far ahead of cotton thermals. There are some wool base layers out there that are supposed to be anti itch. All are effective at moisture management and keeping you dry. The thin liner socks are the bees knees. I wear a pair of those with a heavy wools sock over them and feet stay warm and dry all day. The outside sock will be wet where the sweat was wicked from the foot but feet are dry. Whether it be gloves or boots, make sure they are big enough to accommodate the extra layers and not restrict circulation. Pac boots (bean boots) work well with the right sock combination. Grew up wearing coveralls, but don't even own a pair anymore. Bibs allow for better layering when its really cold.

Latest posts