COLLEGE

Help Support Steer Planet:

american honey

Alright, So I am currently a junior in high school and I am working on finding myself a real good ag school. I want to become a Ag Teacher but also be able to some day have my own ranch/farm/operation. During college my plan was being able to intern on a farm or ranch. I am planning on going to school out of state too. However, so far I cannot seem to find a college that fits my plan. I researched and found Eastern Wyoming Ag College which has a intership program. I guess what I am asking is what do you think is a good ag school where I could be able to purse both things! Thanks!

herfluvr

I know you said out of state but look at Purdue!  They have a 92% job placement rate for graduates.  They have internships in ag fields as well as jobs on the Purdue farms.  Contact  Tracie Egger.  School of Ag freshman recruiter. 

Also think about plan B.  If you don't teach what else takes your interest?  Will the credits transfer between Ag majors?  65% of Purdues transfer between majors in the school of Ag.  Leann Williams is also a wonderful person to chat with about options. 

Good Luck!

Bi-Lane Livestock

Purdue does have a great Ag program.  It depends how much good livestock you want to be around and involved with at college as well as your carreer goals.  Certainally Purdue can set you up with a great Ag Ed degree.  I would also look at Ok State, KSU, and TAMU for good animal science and general Ag schools.  Do not come north, it is unfortunate that one of the great land grand universities MSU is no longer that under current leadership.  Good luck

creativecattle

There are a lot of K-Staters that will chime in here, but it truly is a great school. People will talk about the quality of instructions and being a part of the K-State Family. Definitely worth a trip to Manhattan to see exactly what this is. Also, I think it is pretty cool that in the Princeton Review K-State was ranked as the #1 Happiest School.

RidinHeifer

As a First year ksu student, I am loving it!  So many great people...students and teachers alike, clubs are fantastic.  Purdue is good too...if you can afford it.  I am from IL and there are quite a few Indiana, Ohio, and farther east people. Campus definitely has a small town, family feel...I could not ask for a better start!  My professors are all being more than accommodating for me when I will miss class in October for National FFA Convention.  Right now in first year level classes, they are pretty easy, very basic, but we have to remember about 2/3 of kids in the classes have never seen a cow...some have never had any animals, period, not even a dog, cat fish, nothing!  I live off campus, and the partying is not out of hand I would say it is below average.  I absolutely love it out here!  A really nice thing is that the farms are all close to campus (15minutes is the farthest and it is just a pasture for the cow calf or stocker unit).  Plus campus is very easy to get around, whether walking or driving...it is also fairly small, so you don't have half hour walks to a class typically.  Only bummer is that until after 5 the only place for non permit parking is in the union parking garage, but after 4 or 5 you can park in any lot with out a permit.  It is pretty easy to transfer credits out.  Ksu has big engineering, architecture, and ag programs(all of them).  I would recommend for anyone interested in an ag related field to give us a good look!

american honey

Thank you all soo much! I deffaintly now have a lot of great ideas!! Ahh I am very excited, thank sooo much once again!