Color Guru's question

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I have a new calf born a week or so ago. His mother is a Dirty Hairy x Chi-Ma-Angus cow. He's out of Limestone Jupiter. His mother in the summer turns a milk chocolate color. Winter darkens to more of dark chocolate. He is a chocolate color now. Will he darken with age? She is not really a brindle but chocolate.

kfacres

Alot of baby calves will shed out black... but then again, about as many stay this color... 

I'm going to guess that your Chi influence is showing through the brown.. which I was just recently infomed by leanbeef.. is the wildtype color.  In all other species, the wildtype is dominate over all other patterns- I would expect this to be true in cattle-- maybe not homo black.. but then again< i'm not certain on that...

cdncowboy

I've found that those brown coloured calves will blacken up when they shed out then have that colour come back again as they hair up for winter.  The Chi's and Limi's seem to be the ones around here that have that problem, I've never thought it was a big deal.

OH Breeder

Little guy is just about 7 days old.

Check the color.

Attachments

• Jupiter x DH calf head color.jpg
    Jupiter x DH calf head color.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Jupiter x Dirty Hairy Calf rear.jpg
    Jupiter x Dirty Hairy Calf rear.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 140

kfacres

trevorgreycattleco said:
Ive had quiet a few shorthorn / angus calves that looked like that. They all turned out black when they got older. Nice calf OHIO!

x2...  some of mine will be pretty 'tinged' in the summer though--but with the Chi wildtype gene factor in there-- this one could be different.