Commercial Shorthorns

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

vanridge said:
here are a few pictures of the boys favourite potential 4-H steers

For a show steer I like the last yellow calf. Would like a still of the blue before making jugdement of him. The middle calf looks really fine boned to me, so he is my thrird choice.

vanridge

Here is a pic of him from at least a month ago. I apologize for the quality. I think the yellow calf is a little heavy in the shoulder.... and he is well on his way to weighing 850 lbs by the time he weans in November. ( his 1/2 brother weighed 830) That's pretty heavy for a calf that needs to show in mid-July. Mind you we managed to do that with our son's steer this year and worked okay. Just not the best rate of gain  ;). The blue roan is going to be larger framed than what we are used to, but my son likes him because he likes black hided cattle. The middle guy is about 1/4 herford, he is finer boned. My second boy picked him. We took a steer from this cow to the fair before and he looked very similar to this one at this age. He ended up weighing 1210 lbs and grading AAA.  I have to say for an 8 year old this kid has pretty good taste. Here are two more steer calves they picked out. The blue/white is from our new herd and the red is out of a 3/4 angus cow. He looks a little rough because he was playing in the dugout.

Attachments

• 4-H2012 073.jpg
    4-H2012 073.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 378
  • cows2012 142.jpg
    cows2012 142.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 208
  • cows2012 135.jpg
    cows2012 135.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 191