confused on calf color....

Help Support Steer Planet:

ia girl

We had a Charolais cow who was suppose to be bred to General Lee for a May 6th approx due date.  She had a gray calf yesterday(black nose, black around eyes(like eye liner) and black tipped tail.  The calf came 21 days past due date, she was pasture exposed to a purebred shorthorn.  Is the calf a General Lee baby????

RedChuck

Id say NO..21 days past due,  I would say your cow did not stick AI and short cycled. And was breed to your herd bull

ia girl

But there is absolutely no black in the purebred Charolais cow or our purebred Shorthorn bull????

dimebag

I would say it's probably an AI calf given the color and only exposed to a PB Shorthorn . Are you sure your due date isn't off a few days ? I've had them go a little over 2 weeks past a due date before .

ia girl

That is what we are hoping. :)    Just bizarre how it is exactly 21 days from our due date for her.

OH Breeder

Depends on the breeding on the shorthorn you used. There are shorthorns who will throw black around muzzle and tail. They are not suppose to, and I thought at one time, Rodeo Drive was one of those bulls that would put a black muzzle on his calves at one time.

Simbeef10

It can most definitely be an AI calf.  The gestation table we have in the Select Sires calendar gives due dates and a adjustment you can use based upon breed, but it also includes a statement that the actual birth date can fluctuate up 24 days before or after the due date based upon the animal.  If this cow normally goes 14+ days after the projected date - 21 may not be unreasonable based upon the bull