Convicted felon judging shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowpoke

I always thought that people that were asked to judge shows were at least people that are respected.I see where a convicted felon is judging a show on Mar.11th.Is this the kind of role model we need for our youth?

kfacres

Stop talking about the sheep guy from Ohio who was put away for stealing tractors and other equipment-- and has been a convicted felon for many years....  He's judged more shows in the last couple of years than anyone should.

I sure expect this post to get out of control- and am glad to be the first to post on it- instead of the last.

rackranch

So I guess you've never done anything in your life that you regret and needed forgiveness for?  People do have the ability to change their lives and put the past behind them.  I mean come on!!  I don't have a dog in the hunt but the kids probally wouldn't know about his past if it weren't splattered all over the internet.  And yes he could be a role model for kids if they were looking for someone who had done something bad and was able to change his life for the better.  You know, show the kids that just because you make a mistake and do something wrong that it doesn't have to keep you down the rest of your life.

(angel)

KSanburg

I guess that I have mixed opinions about this, it would depend on what he did to become a felon. Is he a pedophile, rapist, or murderer? These questions would be among the first that I would ask, If he stole something what was it? If it was livestock then I would scratch my head why they would even consider him? Do you know what he was convicted for? It may not be any of our business on here and I am not sure this is an appropriate place to have a tell all, but I am sure that all of the dirty laundry will be splattered here, be it right or wrong. I guess that I would rather be informed and have the oppertunity to make a decesion now rather than when I arrive or even find out after the event.

There are a whole lot of crimes he could have committed that do not make him a threat to anyone at the show, and I would hope that the people that selected this person knew about the issue before they hired this them. I have never been asked to fill out any kind of back ground information for judging a show but I would think that would be instrumental in this day and age.

twistedhshowstock

It depends on what he is a convicted felon for, and also people change.  One thing I would ask is when was he convicted, has he had any trouble since he was convicted? The other thing you have to consider, that most people dont, is that most of the laws in our country are completely stupid.  I understand that pedophiles are sick, but do you know that if you knew the story of most registered sex offenders you would laugh and say what the hell.  For instance, I had a couple friends in highschool who had been dating for 3 or 4 yrs.  Her parents didnt like him, but then again they didnt like anybody.  Anyway he turned 17 and she was 15, her parents pressed charges for statutory rape that stuck because they had political pull, not long after he go caught with a beer and a minor in possession.  He is now not only a convicted felon but has to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.  Do you think he is dangerous? He is one of the nicest guys I know.  But on that note, what I was trying to get at, why do we have to be notified when convicted sex offenders move into our neighborhood? I am not trying to make light of it, I know it is horrible to go through that, but seriously most people get up and go on with their life after that, drugs ruin more lives than rape, but we dont get notified when convicted drug dealers move into the neighborhood.  Heck murder takes a life, that person doesnt even have the option to get counseling and get over it, they are dead if they are the victim, but we dont get notified if a convicted murderer moves into our neighborhood.
I am not trying to make light of any of the situations, but you dont know what lead to his conviction, and our laws in this country are pretty screwed up, and the first people to tell you that are good law enforcement officers.  My roommates brother is a prison guard, he has an inmate serving a long sentence for attempted murder for a drive by shooting. He was convicted based on "eye witness" accounts that very specifically said he held the piston in his right hand and fired three shots.  The problem with this, the man only has a pinky finger on his right hand, he lost the others in a work accident when he was 18.  Several experts said, it is physically impposible for him to hold and fir a pistol in theat hand, yet he was still convicted.
What I will tell yo from being there during my friends case and since.  His life was ruined by it.  He has a college education bt cant get a job, no one will hire him, not because they dont like him, bt they are worried about what the public will think if they know they hired a convicted felon and registered sex offender, if he had killed somebody they would have no problem hiring him.  He has also been harassed, people see his address on the sex offender registry that dont even know him and they immediately start harrasing or making threatening calls.  And most of them dont even know what happened.  It was consensual sex between him and his gf and had been hapening for a while, but he has been accused of brutally raping kids as young as 3 or 4.  He stays depressed most of the time, he has ctried to commit sicide several times.
What I am saying is dont judge just because you saw a  charge or conviction somewhere, dont judge until you know the story.  With the stupidity of our lawas ans the ways our lawmakers pass them without us even knowing it. I heard a story the other day that every American has broken at least 3 laws they didnt even know about before they ever even get to work each day.

lcattleco.

How about a guy judging that wrote me a bad check for 2 calves for almost $10k last fall that refuses to pay for them judging shows in the midwest?

PSC

he did his time let him a lone you never know what happen untill you walked in his shoes

chambero

I know nothing about this situation and am all for second chances, but.......

Some actions (criminal or not) disqualify you for certain jobs in my opinion. 

Statutory rape is a technicality (and my best friend's little brother is in a similar situation to what Twisted H described), but someone guilty of that are/should be disqualified from jobs such as teacher, youth counselor, etc. 

Someone divorced five times probably shouldn't be a preacher or marriage counselor.

And someone convicted of theft - agricultural related - shouldn't be judging or giving advice on anything agricultural related for a variety of reasons.

We have a convicted cattle thief living next door to one our our pastures and I can't look at him without worrying.

Not being eligible for certain jobs is totally different than being totally shunned by society.

irishshorthorns

Lol. I'm afraid it's the gangsters with out convictions we all need to be watching out for lads and ladies. It's amazing how some people with shady pasts, both personally and professionally, can worm their way in to positions of power (or perceived power) and prominence, and influence people, and worse still get shed loads of money out of unsuspecting clients who think they are paying for and getting a good service or product. I remember years ago I was contacted by a person who has been known to frequent steer planet. They knew I was trying to source a quality outcross bull without any appendix blood. This person cold called me and after introducing themselves proceeded to tell me about a bull they had which would fit the bill for countless reasons. In my youthful innocence I took this person at face value and thanked them for their assistance and told them I would get back to them when they could quote me a definite price for a semen package and the European rights. One evening while on the computer I decided to investigate this bull's pedigree in more depth, and much to my amazement, the bull had Jersey and Holstein blood in his extended pedigree. Although the amount of outside blood in the bull was actually only about half of one percent - he still was not what I was looking and most disturbingly the vendor knew all too well the bull had outside blood when they approached me. They had a large number of straws they wanted to get shut of and maybe thought this was a golden opportunity. It was a valuable lesson to learn and thankfully it didn't cost me anything financially, however it did make me more distrustful of people no matter how nice they seem. This person is a regular face at all the big shows and sales, and I have recently learned that they are banned from visiting one or two of the more prominent Shorthorn and Angus herds in Canada due to some of their past dealings.You really can't be too careful in business.

cowpoke

A little too much imagination.I lke the way Chambero thinks and lcattle co is real close[ might even be same guy] .It is too bad that we now live in a society where a mans word and a handshake mean nothing.Some of you have been watching too much violence on the tube as this involves cattle only.A better subject was the quality at the Iowa Beef Expo and I thought Chrstiy Collins did a great job.The Rocky music and constant announcing had mixed reviews.The numbers and quality seem to get better every year and the youth and parents that represent the show industry should be proud.Its hard top teach integrity so its important to have people with high morals that are respected to evaluate our progress.In the old west cattle thieves were dealt differently .

rackranch

First of all I'm glad that you chimed in once you started the post and like you I agree with Chambero's way of thinking.  What got my attention was the statement below.  Especially after starting a thread with this topic.

Question, how many exhibitors and families that travel to all the big name shows around the U.S. and are consistently at the top do it with high morals and integrity?  How many of these exhibitors do you think actually feed and care for the animals they are showing.  How many of these animals do you think have NOT been altered in some form or fashion? How many of these animals do you think have been fitted unethically? How many of these animals were bought for $20,000 or more.  How many of the judges know these kids and their families?

What kinda chance does the average hard working ethical family actually have to win one of these shows?

Just this past weekend a steer sold for over$ 60,000.  How many people other than kid do you think will be feeding, fitting, and caring for him?

When some of these big checks for winning are cashed, should it be considered criminal??

cowpoke said:
A little too much imagination.I lke the way Chambero thinks and lcattle co is real close[ might even be same guy] .It is too bad that we now live in a society where a mans word and a handshake mean nothing.Some of you have been watching too much violence on the tube as this involves cattle only.A better subject was the quality at the Iowa Beef Expo and I thought Chrstiy Collins did a great job.The Rocky music and constant announcing had mixed reviews.The numbers and quality seem to get better every year and the youth and parents that represent the show industry should be proud.Its hard top teach integrity so its important to have people with high morals that are respected to evaluate our progress.In the old west cattle thieves were dealt differently .

knabe

Congress seems to have more than its fair share of shady characters and we keep electing them.

So there must not be a problem.

Why the discrimination if people are in the private sector?

cowpoke

I think we are getting a little carried away are maybe I am naive.But there are many families that do most of their own work and still do well and sometimes win.I can give you many examples and most people have enough integrity to play by the rules.I dont care what activity you are involved in there will always be a few that bend the rules.I am not a saint and dont sit in the front pew[ most of the time back one either] .

justme

Funny though...to volunteer or assist in any part of 4-H you have to go thru training and background check...a judge just has to show up.  I don't know who they are talking about and don't care, but I think as parents, adults, advisors, and fairboard members we need to be aware of who we are putting in the ring with our children

cowpoke

Sorry DL no prize for you.Mr.Holley is a good judge and by being made an example of the clembuterol thing is dead.I know Mr Holley knows cattle as he has proven he can raise and show them which is one thing that not all judges can do.Who it is isnt that important .Just because a person has a shiny new unpaid for pickup with a fancy trailer and  went to colleage and dropped out to become rich and famous in the show cattle world doesnt make them a cattle judge.It would be nice if the show gave him a bad check then the shoe would be on the other foot.

knabe

I'd rather show in front of a judge who likes fat heifers who look like steers, likes bulls so fat they waddle who are a christian.

It's really important that I get lied to what are good cattle.  Too many breeding shows have become fat shows.  Disgusting.

To me, that's criminal.

What about off license use of drugs and not following withdrawals?

I guess if you don't get caught its ok.

ranch4profit

cowpoke...

ya agree hes a piece of work work ....

but same show got a "has been, old out of touch, living in the past, halter judging guy"  a couple yrs back so what did you expect????

Status
Not open for further replies.