Cool room duration.

Help Support Steer Planet:

lil BIG pkg

Wondering if anyone could give advice on the ideal time frame needed in a 60 degree cool room to grow maximum hair before a show. in other words what is the ideal time frame for my steers to be in this cool room. thank you in Advaced

iowabeef

I am not sure if there is any way to really determine a "time frame".  Each calf due to genetics grows hair differently.  We start putting them in the cooler as soon as it is consistantly above 72 degrees in the shade.  We are in Iowa and so we started putting them in the cooler about Memorial weekend and our target shows are in the End of July and middle of august.  Remember-a cooler alone will not grow hair as much as rinsing and brush, brush, brush, brush, brush, brush with that rice root brush. 

vc

Most people out here go between 90 and 120 days, but they clip them tight about 10 to 20 prior. At 90 days they go in from 5:30 am until is dark, if we have a heat wave they stay until the temp goes down as well. My buddy can get North Dakota type hair on them in about 90 but they put a ton of work into the animal, rinse in the morning, then after school the kids rinse with water for about 10 minutes then with ice cold water for 5 more, them spend about an hour per calf working the hair, at about 7 they work the hair some more, (they rinse in the cool room). All in all they spend about 3 hours a day on each calf.

Latest posts