cooler, hair issues

Help Support Steer Planet:

hunter1

I was wandering how many times a day you guys with coolers actuallly rinse your cattle? We have a make shift cooler and it only gets about 50 degrees when it is 100 or higher outside, the other day rained all day it was about 45 cand we grow hair at those temps. We were rinsing about 3 times a day but now only when he goes in and out now, will that be sufficiant?

iowabeef

We have found that hair growth doesn't nessisarily come from super low temps in a cooler.  We have a make shift cooler that only gets to the low to mid 60's.....we rinse twice a day and rice brush the snot out of the calves.....Keeping it dark and using the rise brush to death will get you the best results.

hunter1

we brush witha rice rootbrush also all over the body helps with gettin water out to.  we had good hair this winter so don't think we should have a problem just wandering about the rinsing.

farmin female

Airflow, Airflow, Airflow.  Add fans.  Think of being outside in the winter and then think of being outside in the winter with the wind blowing.  Much colder and chills better.  Lots of people use fans and misters only and can get great hair.  Also, fans are really important if you have more than one calf since they create body heat.  The fans keep that heat from collecting around them.

hunter1

Yep my cooler is completely black as midnight and we have to 24" turbos in it for fans everything is right so there should be no problem..I hope. 

iowabeef

Best of Luck...sounds like you are doing everything correctly.  You should have some nice hair to work with come show time.... O0

zak

Our barn on a 90 day is like 70 inside with just two fans on them and we are deffintally growing hair. I can't say it enough. It's all about genetics!!!

Zak