Cooler Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

We have a 12X12 room we built for washing calves several years ago. The walls are all insulated and so is the ceiling and the walls are all covered with the kind of plastic sheeting that is used to line semi trailers. We are thinking about turning it into a cooler room by putting a large window unit in. My question is will a big window air conditioner get it cool enough to do any more good than just keeping them in front of fans? I'm not sure how cold we could get it or if just keeping it set around 50 degrees is cold enough to make it worth while? Also is there anything extra that needs to be done with hair care because of being in a cooler or just follow our normal regiment of washing/rinsing etc? Thanks in advance and your opinions are very appreciated

Mueller Show Cattle

A cool room will not replace washing and blowing. The washing and blowing will train the hair and get it to grow. The cool room will also help with the growing of the hair, alot after it starts to get warm/hot, or keep them from shedding it when it gets warm/hot. I still use fans even with a cool room. If your 12X12 room is insulated well, you can get by with a large window AC unit along with coolbot. Depending on your outside temp, you can get window AC units with coolbot down into the upper 30's. Just be careful and don't go to extreme and your steer gets ammonia. It works well with my climate as it still drops down in the 60's at night in the summer, I will keep the steers in the cooler during the day in the 40's and turn them out at night, so that keeps them out of the 80 and 90 degree weather. If you have an AC unit and coolbot, if your room is insulated well, you should be able to get it around 50 without much trouble. But as far as fans go, I use fans even in the cool room. The cool room to me is just another tool, I still wash and blow every day and use fans also. Depending on what your temps normally are for your area, if you can keep the steer inside a cool room at 50 will be alot better with growing and maintaining hair than 80, 90, 100 degree weather no matter how many fans you have on them. Also if you make it a cool room, don't forget to put an exhaust fan in it to keep the ammonia smell from building up and also have an emergency door open kit that will open the door to let the steers out if the power goes out. Hope that helps.

paj315

Thanks Big M . We wash / rinse at least once a day . I didn't think it was a short cut just another tool . We rinse/ wash everyday at least once a day more when it gets hot. Our summer highs are usually in the 90's although this past summer we had a lot of 100 degree plus days in a row.  After rinsing we use weavers pro charge in the aerosol can ( it has olive oil added to it) and Double dip with vinegar mixed in . Then brush then comb then blow dry. After that we blow in a mix of sheen and Sullivan's hair stimulator then comb the hair in the desired direction . The hair stimulator really helps get the hair trained and gives it that pop it needs. Then if necessary we blow some pink oil in if the hair or skin is a little dry looking. You can also get women's hair oil at the drug store to use instead of the pro charge. Fans and misters running during the day and running cold water on the metal roof of the show barn helps lower the temp about 5-10 degrees . Just thinking by the time I pay to run the well pump several hours a day and run fans from daylight to dark I could probably just run an air conditioner . I've seen alarm systems the alert you when the room temp gets too high. Will probably invest in one . My grandparents and parents live on either side of me so there is almost always someone around in case of an emergency.

cpratz

If your goin to do it do it right. A window unit won't work down here at 90 degrees and I don't even know how it would have stayed up with 110 degrees