cooler/wash room

Help Support Steer Planet:

wildcatcattle

OK. Decided to take the next step to build a cooler/wash room in my pole shed. I really need a warmer place to wash/clip in the winter and I thought down the road if we wanted to we could make into a cooler for the summer. Generally I have grown pretty decent hair on our heifers and have been reluctant to go the cooler route for breeding stock.

Dimensions will be roughly 24x16. Built inside a pole building. 8 foot ceiling with a deck on top for storage or small square bales.

Two thoughts for tying cattle would be all in a row on the wall or have two rows butt to butt with an 8 foot area in between to put fans. Would that be a bad idea.

What type of grooving or texture on the concrete floor to prevent slipping?

I plan on bedding with bark or shaving and keep the calf tied in line. What type of slope should I have for drainage and any good idea on drain size?

Trying to figure out if I need to have a water heater in the room for washing or can it be outside the room with heat tape around the pipes. What type of heating system? Portable,warm water in concrete, heater, overhead ambient heat?

Any other good ideas would be appreciated.

6M Ranch

Our cool room is separate from the wash rack.  Pour concrete for the wash rack, lots of lighting.  We also built in head-catches in our wash rack to hold the cattle.  Power overhead on ground fault circuits.  Our wash rack is 18' x 18' by itself.  Surprising how much room you need.  Built the cool room ourselves.  Used 6" of foam insulation.  24,000 btu a/c unit and the Coolbot.  Keep it at 55 all summer.

Latest posts