Cooling Collars

Help Support Steer Planet:

angus214

Please tell me if a cooling collar will help us and if so what is the best way to use it. It is the high 90s this week and I have heifers under fans and we are hosing them down twice a day to help keep them cool. Thanks

wyatt

to me it sounds like you need a cool room to save you a ton of time! your always posting on here about ways to add hair just build a small box around them and put a window ac unit in it that would save you time and some money

Bradenh

untill the window unit goes out, then you feel pretty silly i imagine,  , ,, we use the cool collars at shows and it makes a difference for about 2 hours that is really good, then after that the heat off the calf starts to warm it up

angus214

I would love a cool room but we will use our heifers for cows when done showing them and as hot as it is in Mississippi I dont care to jeopardize there health. I feel that if they are kept in a cool room they will not be able to stand the heat in travel or at shows. If they were market animals I would use a cool room but on the other hand if the power goes out then what? Sorry that I bug you asking about hair I will not post any more. I thought that was the point of this was to get help. Thanks

simmyman67

I know the feeling. I live in Louisiana, where it is always hot, and show Simmental and Simbrah cattle. I keep them under fans, but I feel there is no purpose in keeping an animal in a cool box if it's gonna go out in the pasture when its show career is over.

lightnin4

Don't let one person discourage you...keep asking questions!  (thumbsup)  Not all the answers may be right for your situation, but some will work for you.  As far as cooling collars--I've never used them, but like the other poster said, they probably help for a couple of hours anyway.  Good Luck!

rackranch

I bought 10 misting nozzles from Sullivan and screwed them into 1/2 in pvc every two feet.  hooked into water line  and put in a timer that is used for your sprinklers... you can set it to come on when you want and for as long as you want...can be messy if ran to much but works nicely for me...

wyatt

angus214 said:
I would love a cool room but we will use our heifers for cows when done showing them and as hot as it is in Mississippi I dont care to jeopardize there health. I feel that if they are kept in a cool room they will not be able to stand the heat in travel or at shows. If they were market animals I would use a cool room but on the other hand if the power goes out then what? Sorry that I bug you asking about hair I will not post any more. I thought that was the point of this was to get help. Thanks
i dont mind you posting that is what this site is for you could even just keep the ac unit behind the fans so they blow colder air on them (if you could find somthing to hang it on) it would be better and like the other person said not every post will be the right answer ive had the same problem but it isnt quite as bad as pepole that are further south we have fans misters and we wash them quite a bit

jakec53

We like our cool collars from sullivan.  We have a fridge/freezer in our barn so it's super easy to keep one on them.