Corn Cob Bedding

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmermom

Anyone out there use Corn Cob bedding? We are thinking of using it in the show barn.  I would like to have some of your thoughts good or bad, before we try it.
Thanks

CAB

Haven't tried it in a showbarn situation, but did used to farrow alot of pigs using corn cob bedding. I think that it would be worth a try. Does anyone think that it would hurt hair? Brent

amss101

The cobs are wonderful as long as you are NOT running a mister system. If you are stay clear they will rapidly turn into the nastiest mush mess you've ever dealt with.

snagboy

we have used corn cobs had a lot of mosture problems switched to river sand and love it  thats all we use now just refresh the pens once a year great stuff

hevmando

snag, I have access to sand, but have been hesitant to try it worried about rinsing it out of their hair and wrecking the clippers.  your thoughts?

snagboy

we thought the same thing too. we just blow the calves out before we wash them comes out super easy just watch out if feels like you are being sand blasted if you get in front of it.
the mix we use is arena sand witch lets about 70 gallons of water pass an hour and i thinks it helps keep the calves cooler during the hot summer months