corn stubble hay

Help Support Steer Planet:

r2scott

I have never feed corn stubble but was thinking of baleing some, I would like to know the pros and cons and approx prot. tdn  value.  This has been irrigated and no nitrate problems thanks.

HAB

r2scott said:
I have never feed corn stubble but was thinking of baleing some, I would like to know the pros and cons and approx prot. tdn  value.  This has been irrigated and no nitrate problems thanks.

Cows love them

Not much feed value, but works as a filler to strech out higher quality feed.  Can be fed with supplementation of protein and energy.  If you chop and windrow the stalks, there will be  alot of dirt in it.  If you just bale what goes through the combine, it is much cleaner, more husk material, but much lower yielding.

the stumps of stalks are a little tough on the pick of the baler.

We bale some every year, and like them.  just giving you my opinion.

do a search on here, the topic has been discussed before, with  alot of good info and applications.

cpubarn

I agree with HAB do a search.

We wait a few days after the combine so that the stalks are dry in the center.  If the combine has a chopping head it will be small enough (too small?).  If the combine has a standard head, we chopped it after the dew was dry, and only baled on dry days.  We rake high with a wheel rake to keep it out of the dirt.

We only have a string tie baler, but net wrap is best.  These bales will last a long time inside, but decay quickly outside, especially if it is warmer where you live.

Just a few thoughts...

Mark