cosmetic dehorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

bwg1995

Anybody know a good vet or person who does cosmetic dehorns for hire in the Midwest?

AAOK

bwg1995 said:
Anybody know a good vet or person who does cosmetic dehorns for hire in the Midwest?

It's not a difficult procedure.  I can't imagine a large animal veterinary that wouldn't have the ability.

Buy yourself a Horn Nub burner, and take those nubs off when the calves are little.  Looks just like a cosmetic as they mature.

JDP

That horn nub burner that you speak of is that the cordless one.  And does it really work well? I have used the paste and from my results you might as well rubbed S**T on them.  On top of keeping them away from mom.  i have wondered about those burners but was afraid to spend over $200 and it not work.  Thanks for the information in advance.

shufly

box6rranch said:
Don't know where you are but we have a vet that does an excellent job in north eastern Colorado
Who, where is he located and what does it cost?

CAB

We're lucky here in Iowa. There are still a # of good vet clinics available to us and all can do cosmetic dehorning, but there are also private PPL that wil do it.

farmin female

I live in the Southwest and we took a calf in to our usual large animal vet and he did a good job.  Not that big of a deal and I think he only charged us about $75.

Silver

JDP said:
That horn nub burner that you speak of is that the cordless one.  And does it really work well? I have used the paste and from my results you might as well rubbed S**T on them.  On top of keeping them away from mom.  i have wondered about those burners but was afraid to spend over $200 and it not work.  Thanks for the information in advance.

When you use the paste you just need to get it on the right spot on the horn and then put a piece of cloth or gauze over it and duct tape their head, that way you don't have to worry about it going places were it shouldn't be and results are more consistent. Do yourself a favor and buy a portasol, get them in when they are 2-4 weeks old and it only takes about 15 seconds per calf.

gw197510

Isn't part of a cosmetic dehorn to shape the head?  Can you still get that same look with an electric dehorner or paste?
g

Silver

gw197510 said:
Isn't part of a cosmetic dehorn to shape the head?  Can you still get that same look with an electric dehorner or paste?
g

Its all about timing, if you get those horn buds burned or pasted before they attach to the poll it will look just like a polled calf. Tubes work the same way, you just cut out the skin that has the hornbud in it before it attaches to the calf's poll.

AAOK

JDP said:

Don't use Paste and don't use a cordless burner.  Do get a plug-in 110v that burns a ring around the base of the horn nub.  When it turns Copper colored, you have burned enough.  The whole area will fall off in a few weeks.  Catch 'em early and you'll never know it wasn't cosmetic.

Silver

Don't use Paste and don't use a cordless burner.  Do get a plug-in 110v that burns a ring around the base of the horn nub

I've used both and the portasol butane burner, is way better for just burning horn buds off smaller calves. The 110 is more for after you hit it with the barnes dehorners, then you coterize with it. Both work good, but the portasol is the best for early dehorning.

iheartcattle

We used Stateline Vet Clinic. The vet had never did a cosmetic dehorn before, but my dad and I talked him through it and it looked amazing afterward.

justme

The best cosmetic dehorn vet I've ever seen is Dr. Sandy in Corydon, Iowa.  Very reasonable and WOW he can preform miracles on a horns.  Very reasonable too.  Many of the big name guys drive many miles to use him.

Shady Lane

AAOK said:
JDP said:

Don't use Paste and don't use a cordless burner.  Do get a plug-in 110v that burns a ring around the base of the horn nub.  When it turns Copper colored, you have burned enough.  The whole area will fall off in a few weeks.  Catch 'em early and you'll never know it wasn't cosmetic.

I got myself a Buddex cordless dehorner a few years ago and it works like a darn, I just do them when they are about 5 days old and it's dealt with and they look great. I used the same rig on a farm I used to work at on many, many calves with good results.

With the cordless burner you can catch them in a pasture or lot or whatever and burn them when you tag them and it's over with.