Cost of transportation

Help Support Steer Planet:

SandyB

I have been looking at online sales and before I dig much deeper I was wondering what it typically costs to ship a calf? I live in California and so many of the online sales are many states away from me. Do the transport companies charge by the mile or by the trip. I have shipped many horses coast to coast and have hauled many loads myself and we typically charge by the mile plus any layover (stall fees). Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Gargan

Its usually a flat rate. Trucks are running the roads like crazy now so it shouldn't be a problem getting a calf hauled for under $400 from 3-4 States away

SandyB

Thank you for the info. Yes I have received some info that shipping is not too bad of you can find a good prospect and get it bought right.
Personally I will not be going to the sales. A friend of mind who dabbles in cattle knows several people who may be able to look at a few of the calves I have picked out or may be interested in. He also said that there are several breeders he would trust to get the real scoop on any calves as well.

LLBUX

Respectfully, I see this as a train wreck waiting to happen.

A friend 'dabbles' in cattle and he knows a guy who---

It would be far wiser to get in your car or fly to see the cattle in person.  That way you can only blame yourself when the calf doesn't meet your specs or needs.

CAB

LLBUX said:
Respectfully, I see this as a train wreck waiting to happen.

A friend 'dabbles' in cattle and he knows a guy who---

It would be far wiser to get in your car or fly to see the cattle in person.  That way you can only blame yourself when the calf doesn't meet your specs or needs.
I thought the same thing. Is your friend a better friend of your's or a better friend of the seller's.

CAB

SandyB you may want to ck out the online sale sites B/C they usually have a transportation contact on their pages.

LLBUX

This gentleman hauled a bull for me from IL to NY in early September. 

He is based in Illinois.  He was very prompt and professional and got the bull there in good shape and time.  About 900 miles in  a day and a half.

Sam Harroun  319-325-9389

SandyB

I respect your opinions to see a prospect in person. In the ideal world, that would be great. I can not imagine that everyone that buys on a ONLINE sales hops on a jet or packs their bags & hops in their car to go inspect every prospect they see that fancies them before bidding. If that were the case, why is there online sales? I am out in California and for me to go to Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, etc... to look at prospects I have marked in each online sale would be astronomical. So I have to rely on "friends" or contacts I have made to help me out. Maybe I am too trusting and expect people to be honest and ethical. Probably my bad. Since my search is mainly for a fat steer for my daughter to show at a  fair I can for the most part see what I need to see off videos. Trust me, I am not anxious to buy out of state. Just seems our pickings here in Calif. are pretty slim and prices high.

OH Breeder

ALot is dependent for some haulers on how many they are hauling to one central location. If you find a calf that meets your criteria then also ask the breeder how many calves might be going out of state toward your way. I had a recent trip from Iowa to Indiana line and it was very reasonable but the guy had several other calves to help absorb the cost. I am not sure if you have a network close to you of other folks who are buying out of state but you can certainly ask the seller how far out they have sold calves. I can PM you the info on my guy who hauled. He goes all over from what I understand.

RankeCattleCo

SandyB said:
I respect your opinions to see a prospect in person. In the ideal world, that would be great. I can not imagine that everyone that buys on a ONLINE sales hops on a jet or packs their bags & hops in their car to go inspect every prospect they see that fancies them before bidding. If that were the case, why is there online sales? I am out in California and for me to go to Colorado, New Mexico, Indiana, etc... to look at prospects I have marked in each online sale would be astronomical. So I have to rely on "friends" or contacts I have made to help me out. Maybe I am too trusting and expect people to be honest and ethical. Probably my bad. Since my search is mainly for a fat steer for my daughter to show at a  fair I can for the most part see what I need to see off videos. Trust me, I am not anxious to buy out of state. Just seems our pickings here in Calif. are pretty slim and prices high.

Buying a steer wouldn't be half as bad as buying a heifer sight unseen, I will agree. Always remember that those pictures are most likely going to be hiding flaws and from there best angle to show off the calves strong points and hide its weaknesses. Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin always have high volumes of good calves, looking in those states may produce the best value. One thing about buying from so far away is make sure you or someone around you can fit, I doubt someone from Iowa will follow that steer around California. Good luck and let us know what you get!

RyanChandler

SandyB said:
I respect your opinions to see a prospect in person. In the ideal world, that would be great. I can not imagine that everyone that buys on a ONLINE sales hops on a jet or packs their bags & hops in their car to go inspect every prospect they see that fancies them before bidding.

You're right.  That's why so many are disappointed when the trailer gate opens.  From adjusting the video quality to manipulating the aspect ratio, there's many ways to present an animal that doesn't really reflect their true form in the flesh. 

If a video has been edited by a media company.. and the video is NOT in HD and IS put in a container (that bordered box you'll, at times, see videos presented in- this is to manipulate the aspect ratio which adjusts the proportions of the animal ex. height, length, depth, etc.) rest assured there's some less than honorable practices going on. 

The cost of a plane flight is the best investment you'll ever make. 

firesweepranch

Going with a reputable breeder will give you more bang for your buck than a plane ticket to several different states. Our example was a successful one; we established a relationship with Jeff Miller when we bought some embryos in his online sale. The next season (last fall) he had his annual online cattle sale. I called and talked with him about two Simmental heifers that were interested in.  Well, we bought one, and she was everything and more than what he told me and what I saw in the video (she is the Upgrade 3/4 my middle daughter showed this year and did so well). I would have no problem buying another animal from him. He even arranged shipping for us, and the price was cheap ($140).
Find someone you trust. Buy from them every year you are looking if they have something you like in your price range.

Tallcool1

firesweepranch said:
Going with a reputable breeder will give you more bang for your buck than a plane ticket to several different states. Our example was a successful one; we established a relationship with Jeff Miller when we bought some embryos in his online sale. The next season (last fall) he had his annual online cattle sale. I called and talked with him about two Simmental heifers that were interested in.  Well, we bought one, and she was everything and more than what he told me and what I saw in the video (she is the Upgrade 3/4 my middle daughter showed this year and did so well). I would have no problem buying another animal from him. He even arranged shipping for us, and the price was cheap ($140).
Find someone you trust. Buy from them every year you are looking if they have something you like in your price range.

THIS is great advice, and I have had the same experience.  One steer I never saw, the trader picked for my son.  Two steers I tried unsuccessfully to buy on their sale, and they went out and found for us.  This year (needless to say) we are doing it the same way.  We always have the right to refuse the steers, and one of them I wasn't crazy about.  We went along with it, and he turned out exactly the way they told us he would. 

I know this industry is full of bottom feeders and slime bags, BUT it is also full of reputable trustworthy business people.  Find them.

4-h mom

[Find someone you trust. Buy from them every year you are looking if they have something you like in your price range.
[/quote]
I know this industry is full of bottom feeders and slime bags, BUT it is also full of reputable trustworthy business people.  Find them.
[/quote]
I wish you lots of luck....

SandyB

I believe ethical & reputable sellers/breeders come is all business sizes and I hope that one treats me as someone who they hope comes back to them. With that said, we bought a steer from Trausch Farms sale. We were told he was a very nice calf and would do well at our fair. My daughter loved his color and we liked his video and he was in our budget. My friend purchased two very high quality heifers from them as well. Here is a picture of him.

Attachments

• Lot 32 Blueprint x HooDoo Steer.jpg
    Lot 32 Blueprint x HooDoo Steer.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 1395430_10151907341668608_1130940177_n.jpg
    1395430_10151907341668608_1130940177_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 167