Could this be?

Help Support Steer Planet:

forbes family farms

We had a heifer A.I'ed she was in heat that day but then the next day she was still in heat. Could this be a false heat or is she going to have twins? Just curious.

ROMAX

I kind of had the same thing,had a heifer standing heat afternoon june 19,bred next morning.On july 5 the bull would not leave the barnyard or beside her pen,she showed no signs other then bawling?

firesweepranch

forbes family farms said:
We had a heifer A.I'ed she was in heat that day but then the next day she was still in heat. Could this be a false heat or is she going to have twins? Just curious.
[/quote
Never heard that is a reason for twins, but we have had heifers standing longer than 12 hours before. Especially if we catch them at the beginning of the heat cycle. Since we AI our own girls, we often AI twice if they are standing longer than usual. This year, God has been good to us and we have an 80% conception rate. Just two more to stick, one was bred 20 days ago and so far not showing signs of heat. We have no bull, so just rely on AI and good heat detection!

CAB

She may settle for you, but most PPL would have used a second unit of semen on her. Some virgin heifers stay in standing heat longer than the normal cows standing duration. It was not a false heat, just a long standing period. If you can next time try to be patient and wait for your heifer to go out of standing heat and go into a sort of calm state. That's the time to inseminate the heifer.

forbes family farms

CAB said:
She may settle for you, but most PPL would have used a second unit of semen on her. Some virgin heifers stay in standing heat longer than the normal cows standing duration. It was not a false heat, just a long standing period. If you can next time try to be patient and wait for your heifer to go out of standing heat and go into a sort of calm state. That's the time to inseminate the heifer.

We had our professional AI guy breed her, and he said to wait until she goes out of a standing heat, so we did then he came out and bred her at 8:00am.

husker1

Interesting that some wait till after heat.  I have always went by the schedule of breeding 12 to 18 hours after the ONSET of standing heat....now my Genex rep tells me that he'd much rather breed 8 hours after the onset rather than 18 hours.....Lot's of ways to settle cows, but what is the most precise????

I've been told to disregard the fact that they may still be standing...and, yes....we've had heifers stand 24 hours plus.

CAB

husker1 said:
Interesting that some wait till after heat.  I have always went by the schedule of breeding 12 to 18 hours after the ONSET of standing heat....now my Genex rep tells me that he'd much rather breed 8 hours after the onset rather than 18 hours.....Lot's of ways to settle cows, but what is the most precise????

I've been told to disregard the fact that they may still be standing...and, yes....we've had heifers stand 24 hours plus.
  The thing is that when the teachers, teach, they have to tell and give you an absolute exact time. Example, 12 hours after observed standing heat or 18 hours after 1st observed standing heat. I was told 12 hours after to begin with, but the fact is that the real good heat detectors and breeders go home and then go on to fine tune and figure out the best results. The best results will be gained by paying attention to each individual heifers cycle, and letting her let you know when the best time to inseminate her is. It will be after she is out of standing heat and going into what I call a calm state or flat wore out state. JMHO. Hope this helps some of you younger cattle enthusiasts.

BCCC

My old AI tech swore by the 12 hour rule, and only got around 50% and alot of bulls. I started havin bred later and now getting around 75% and some heifers. I bred majority of my cows 6 hours after they quit standing as a wise old man told me I'd have a much better chance of getting heifers. Lets hope so!

WRS

I agree that sometimes heifers will stand 24+ hours, but it seems like those long-standers sometimes haves more fertility issues...or maybe it's just that that they are late ovulators and are getting bred too soon!  We try not to AI any females until at least 4 hours after standing, no matter when they started to stand.  Almost always the ones we rush to breed are the ones that don't stick.  Cowboy (Terry) has given some great advice on this board about not breeding too soon...I subscribe to his philosophy.

DTW

I agree 4 to 6 hours after standing heat.  I have had several this year and in the past start standing at noon and bred the following morning and had great luck.  The cow doesnt ovulate for awhile after she is done standing.