County Fair...by Baxter Black

Help Support Steer Planet:

bjkoller

Thought this was a great tribute to what our kids do!  Just wish more people "got it!"

County Fairs, Why?
by Baxter Black
“Most people just don’t get it,” said Ron, bemoaning the urban politicians that continue to whittle away at
funding for county fairs and the Ag Extension Service. “It’s all about the kids learning real life.”
To their misfortune, urban children have much less opportunity to connect with real life. They look at
some farm kid working on his show steer every day for months. It is beyond their comprehension. “Why”,
they think, ‘Would anyone want to waste their time in such a mindless pursuit?’ and then they whip out
their Game Boy and fall into a trance.
Thank goodness there are some politicians, corporations and influential associations that DO get it. As
farmers and livestock raisers continue to decline in numbers, it is even more critical that parents, county
agents, ag teachers, 4-H leaders, scientists and teachers instill in the next generations the realities of life
that farming depends on. Does America want to become a net importer of food in fifty years?
I appreciate Mrs. Obama’s garden, Whole Foods specialty markets, organic and natural producers. They
have a niche market. But who is going to feed the other 99% of our burgeoning population, much less a
hungry third world?
Those kids, our kids who are fitting steers, doing chores, picking apples, showing hogs, driving the grain
truck, learning to weld, riding pens, irrigating strawberries, managing a pasture, hosing the milk room,
stacking hay and learning to read the sky are assimilating the mountain of knowledge that it takes to make
dirt and rain into food.
Farm kids start learning the land and the livestock when they are old enough to carry a bucket. When they
help with the daily chores they are practicing. It’s like taking piano lessons or tennis lessons except what
farm kids learn has a much more profound objective; feeding us all.
Our culture expends a great deal of effort on future NBA stars, astronauts, environmental lawyers, doctors,
and political science majors. But for every 100 rock stars, Rhoades Scholars and Heisman trophy winners
our country produces, we better make sure we spend enough to train at least two future farmers, so the rest
of them can eat. That is the essence of the county fair.
Beneath all the fun, auctions, and show ribbons, the serious business of learning how to make a living off
the land continues like an underground river.
The list of ‘essential professions’ is a short one. That’s the reality of real life. Farm kids hold our future in
their hands. They are in training to feed the world. And fair board members and county agents get it.
www.baxterblack.com

lucysmom

I wish every parent and school board member would read this.  We lived in town till my son was 14.  We moved and he got into ag that year
and followed it all the way through high school with our full support - we enjoyed it as much as he did.  The things he learned are so beyond high school - LIFE lessons that will
last forever. And his ag advisors made such an impression - he now is in college to be an ag teacher and try to continue
the legacy.  So many town kids never see or are involved with nature of any kind that it's sad. My son never had time for
video games because either his cattle needed attention, or it was deer season, or the crappie were spawning or the barn
needed cleaning, fence needs building etc etc - and he loves his ag classes in college even plants & soils, which he thought would be less than
interesting. He's starting a beef herd ( very slowly!) and is just adamant about all aspects of the agricultural community. He
says "where do people think food comes from anyway?"
He may not have started out a farm kid, but he sure did turn into one quick! But the funding dwindling away is scary -
already in our school community there is talk of doing away with the ag department or scaling it back severely and this is SO
NOT the right thing to do. I'm with GC - I wish everyone "got it" too!

bjkoller

To add to the post... when I recieved it I sent it out to about 50 people in my address book.  This is what the email said! 
Greetings to all~
Just thought I would share this piece written by Baxter Black about farm kids and what they learn through showing animals and county fairs.  I have had more than my share of run ins with those teachers that don’t see the value in my children missing school to attend a show.  Brian and I firmly believe that our children are learning more about the real world in these situations than an average day in the classroom.  I am by NO means bashing the public school system, we have been fortunate to have our girls attend some great schools with great teachers.

As the piece describes we are teaching our children to feed the world~  But they are learning so much more….responsibility of caring for an animal, pride in their work and the ability to communicate with non-farm people and share our way of life!  There are a few moments I will always cherish and think of as teachable moments:

HayLee at age 6 explaining to the news crew from a local station the difference between a bull and a steer!

Torrie at about 3 or 4 explaining to a “non-ag woman” at the Palouse Empire Fair, what will happen to one of our steers when the fair ends!  “We are gonna cut his head off and eat him!”  Like duh? How could you not know this….

And just recently one of our girls helping explain to more than one person at larger fairs why most people won’t get Mad Cow disease…. Especially if you are just petting it!  Seriously…this happened!

Just thought I'd share!

showjock09

When I was in school I only missed 2 fair days a year. Showday and grooming day. My teachers NEVER got it. In a school where there were alot of, for lack of better words, "Prissy" kids they all thought I was an alien.

Once we moved, it was like a breath of fresh air. Noone made fun of me for riding horses and raising cattle. Yet there were still the sneerers. My 4th grade teacher gave me a stack of papers about a foot high for missing those 2 days. Later in life o figured out why... She was a member of PETA. A little harsh? I think so.

I am watching the agricultural industry in my small south Florida town die in front of me. And I am doing everything in my power to keep it alive. Even lending/leaseing out heifers, steers, and horses so that it doesn't have to die. I know I used to and still do take a huge amount of pride in my livestock and the kids I get to help thorugh it all durring the year.

Latest posts