County Fair Prospect

Help Support Steer Planet:

Richardg123

I am currently entering my senior year of high school. This being my last year, I wanted to take a shot at our County Fair grand champion market steer title. My district normally travels to Utah and colorada and picks out steers for the students to pick. I looked at breeders in California and found a calve that I was interested in. This will be my second steer, but I'm determined to give as much as I can to win.

This calf is a purebred shorthorn and was born in February. The orange county fair will be in July of 2013. I was wondering if he would be too old (mainly have become to large). Before I purchase him i was looking at acquiring some feed back on this possible pick (how good of a pick he would be &the potential to turn into something truly impressive). Please feel free to help as best as you can.

Additional information: I'm an FFA member in orange county in southern california. Not to sure where that files out competition wise.
Shorthorn2.jpg

Purebred Shorthorn Steer JPJ X Double Down

rsz_img_4284197204919_std.jpg

Behind view(these are the only two photos of him that I have)

Boot Jack Bulls

I'm by no means in your part of the country, but I would think he could be a fairly competitive steer. He seems correct and has  some nice length in his hooks and pins with pretty good depth in his rear flank. I love his top line and his face. I would bet it would not take a whole lot of work to get good hair on him. If I were to nit pick him, I would say he maybe gets a touch bold in his shoulders ( may be the angle of pic) and lacks a bit of neck extension. His is also just a touch fine boned. Again, this is fairly nit picky on a good steer.   They often grow into their shoulders and good hair and a good clip job can smooth that out quick. Tying the calf up can train it into giving you more neck extension. Careful feeding and management could make him a winner!

leanbeef

I like the calf and basically agree with the previous post. He looks really sound and structurally correct, and I think he has plenty of style & balance. My first thought was, "I wonder if he's stout enough." But pictures can be deceiving sometimes. If he has plenty of shape and width down his top, enough shape and depth to his side & adequate bone, then he has potential. Making a winner out of him will depend a lot on you, feeding him & developing him to meet his potential. If you start with a pretty complete, fault free calf & you feed him right, he doesn't have to be the thickest calf or the heaviest bone. A lot of people make the mistake of overlooking serious faults because a calf is exceptional in one area, and those faults don't disappear.

To answer your question, the age seems in the right range for a July finish date. Depending on the calf--his frame, his genetics, etc.--there's room for you to manage his development and get him where he needs to be at the right time. You shodn't have to push that calf extremely hard, and he shouldn't get too big or too done if he has enough grow in him not to finish at a light weight.

Good luck! I think he's a nice calf!

oldgrouch

If a 54 inch plus hip height will be acceptable to compete at your show this one might work but i would pass on this one and continue your search.

vc

He would place well but I do not think he will be able to win it all, your fair usually has some tough competition at the top doesn't it?
Here are some names to look into, they might be able to help you with a steer.

Blaine Rodgers  http://www.rodgerslivestock.com/ Sanger, California

Ron Colburn  http://www.colburncattle.com/ Visalia, California

Valerie Last  760-224-2980, [email protected]  Valley Center, California

If you decide to go with the Shorthorn, good luck and have fun.

mooch

Looks like he will make a pretty nice fat steer.  I would like to see the JPJ x Double Down steer that can get to 54" at 15-16mo of age . Don't think that would be likely.

Richardg123

Thank you for the feedback, it is really enriching to hear another persons critiques and opinions. I'm going to check out the other breeders that were listed seeing as how I have until August 17th to make a final decision. Thank you everyone, it is really appreciated.

mark tenenbaum

Judging from his head compared to his body-he wont be 54 inches. Hes a good calf in alot of respects-the Double Downs sometimes appear big in pictures because they are a little high gutted-but they almost allways make up for that from behind-Is this calf like that?with a big bedonkadonk? If so-I wouldnt rule him out. O0

Richardg123

I updated the original post with a shot from behind him. This is only my second steer and I'm learning as I go as well. I'm open to pick up however much knowledge as possible!  ;D

Breed wise, I told that shorthorns keep a lot of their coat. Which for me is great considering that it doesn't get too cool in orange county. We average 80 degrees each day. In the winter we get low 70's. Which means it's never too cold. Any ideas and thoughts on this?

Ms Ray

It is nice to get a steer early to work with it and get feed right, most shows in Cali. you only have to own 120 days there are a lot of sales in October in Ca.  If you can wait you might find something better.  Don't rush and buy the first one (I know it is hard), but there is always something better.