Cover of January Black,OOPs I mean Shorthorn Country

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorgreycattleco

As long as we dont turn the breed black like the rest I dont mind. i use angus as a piece in my breeding but i always breed back shorthorn. Personally I would rather see a pic of shorthorns workin over some black cows. That would send a better message then what they did. That pic just solidifies the show ring/ club calf theme for shorties.That pic sure has ruffled some feathers. I have heard several folks complain about it. I guess it doesn't suprise me.

Doc

I don't see what the big deal is. Well let me back up , I do see what the big deal is. I think it is a very big deal for a SHORTHORN plus to win SUPREME CHAMPION over ALL breeds in the junior show. I just think it's another positive for the breed. JMO. <party> (clapping) (clapping)

justintime

This is a huge deal.... on the positive side. The Shorthorn Plus branch of the breed is doing more to show what Shorthorn influence has to offer the industry, than many other promotions. This win is a major milestone. Just as the Durhams for Denver was with the blue Shorthorn Plus bulls all selling between 3000 and $6000.

Davis Shorthorns

when I first saw the pict on the cover I was not at all happy with it.  Then I saw that she was supreme over all and I completly understand why they did it.  I am now fine with it.  I agree that we need to show what a SH influenced animal can do. 

kfacres

We no longer subscibe to the Shorthorn country... I have thought it to be one of the biggest wastes of money.  The only thing that gets advertised are baby calves that will be selling, and then a full page thank you ad, with pictures of the people at sales.  Every issue is almost identical, a bunch of show results of people that I have never heard of, and a ton of sale results stating rediculous high dollar ammounts that were fake and planned all along. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect to get a TON OF HEat and NEG KARMA over it!

trevorgreycattleco

I have thought about this some more. Maybe I am wrong. That heifer is a Trump (Clone deal) on a Heatwave. A good show heifer....yes. Any real benefit to the shorthorn breed? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it. Heatwave has won how many deals? Trump has won how many deals? It doesn't take a Albert Eisenhower to try and cross them. Doesn't suprise me at all that she won. I guess I would be way more excited to hear a shorthorn bull knocked them dead at the Midland test or kicked butt in a forage conversion test. Trump on a Heatwave doesnt do much for me but say "never ending feed bill."  She sure took a purty picture tho.

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:
I have thought about this some more. Maybe I am wrong. That heifer is a Trump (Clone deal) on a Heatwave. A good show heifer....yes. Any real benefit to the shorthorn breed? Maybe. Depends on how you look at it. Heatwave has won how many deals? Trump has won how many deals? It doesn't take a Albert Eisenhower to try and cross them. Doesn't suprise me at all that she won. I guess I would be way more excited to hear a shorthorn bull knocked them dead at the Midland test or kicked butt in a forage conversion test. Trump on a Heatwave doesnt do much for me but say "never ending feed bill."  She sure took a purty picture tho.

JMO, I think you're missing the big picture here. I know you think Trumps' are the dregs of society & all that. I've heard that time & time again. The fact remains that a 1/2 Shorthorn was judged the BEST female of ALL the females in the Jr show. Which may in turn convince that one new guy to go out and buy a Shorty bull or female to try the crossbreeding program.
As far what you prefer see happen, then there you go. You have something to shoot for with your breeding program. Once again it's "Different strokes for different folks". 

r.n.reed

I think a common response would be that leaves the Herefords and Red Angus.

linnettejane

Doc said:
I don't see what the big deal is. Well let me back up , I do see what the big deal is. I think it is a very big deal for a SHORTHORN plus to win SUPREME CHAMPION over ALL breeds in the junior show. I just think it's another positive for the breed. JMO. <party> (clapping) (clapping)

what he said

kfacres

I think it would be far more impressive for a purebred SH to win Supreme, and do the  breed more justice than a 1/2 blood!  So what, all the quality comes from her non shorthorn side..

trevorgreycattleco

Doc said:
trevorgreycattleco said:

JMO, I think you're missing the big picture here. I know you think Trumps' are the dregs of society & all that. I've heard that time & time again. The fact remains that a 1/2 Shorthorn was judged the BEST female of ALL the females in the Jr show. Which may in turn convince that one new guy to go out and buy a Shorty bull or female to try the crossbreeding program.
As far what you prefer see happen, then there you go. You have something to shoot for with your breeding program. Once again it's "Different strokes for different folks". 

Thanks for the ideas. Already workin on that. If it seems like a big deal for you then it is. If it makes you happy then good. Hang your hat there. I see no real lasting effects with a half Heatwave winning the shortie show. Sorry

advocate

I believe in louisville a couple years ago joseph osullivan did win champion over all breeds in the junior show with a purebred shorty

OH Breeder

here ya go.

Attachments

• Grand%20Champion%20Junior%20Shorthorn%20Plus%20Heifer.jpg
    Grand%20Champion%20Junior%20Shorthorn%20Plus%20Heifer.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 52

Okotoks

I think it was a pretty impressive win and no reason the Shorthorn breed should not advertise it. I also like the fact they are looking for some commercial photos odf shorthorn crosses. All  of you with shorthorn crosses should be trying to get some good photos.

kfacres

advocate said:
I believe in louisville a couple years ago joseph osullivan did win champion over all breeds in the junior show with a purebred shorty

well hot damn.. what did she do for the breed thus far?  Bet when the show fat melted off. she was just another hard calving, hard doing TRUMP!

mooch

the truth said:
advocate said:

well hot damn.. what did she do for the breed thus far?  Bet when the show fat melted off. she was just another hard calving, hard doing TRUMP!

Dude you got several screws loose somewhere! He answered a comment you asked in a civil matter and you go off on another tangent.You go off bashing shorthorns and club calves and then want to know what club calf bull to breed you show line shorthorn cow to so you can cash in . You sound dangerous.

Doc

Thanks for the ideas. Already workin on that. If it seems like a big deal for you then it is. If it makes you happy then good. Hang your hat there. I see no real lasting effects with a half Heatwave winning the shortie show. Sorry
[/quote]

I don't know she is a heatwave. If she is out of a Heatwave cow then she would be a little more than a 1/2 blood. All I see is a 1/2 blood SHORTHORN winning Supreme Champion. I'm seeing this glass as 1/2 full, you're seeing it as 1/2 empty. If she was by Captain Obvious or a Lauer bred bull or a Dover bred bull , would that make it acceptable to you? I just don't understand why you're so bent on raining on this parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.