COW DOWN UPDATE!

Help Support Steer Planet:

kobo_ranch

Well.. three weeks ago we found one of our best breeder purebred charolais big cows down in the pasture.  Wouldn't get up.  Bull obviously broke her down...

3 weeks to the day this morning she was UP!

Not after a TON of effort though... babied, fed and watered daily first.  After 3rd day I made it to vets office after the recommendation from COWMAN 52.  I gave her DEX and Banamine in the muscle about 12-15CC of each every 24-30 hours.  Maybe overdosed but that's what I did.  (pretty big cow).  Laid on her same side daily.  We did try to manually push her over (took 3 people) but seemed to always get back on the one side.  She did crawl around some so that's why we never gave up on her.  After about 10 days we got tired of traveling across the ranch to feed and water so we took a flatbed trailer and 'scooted' her on with with the loader.  (not an easy feat)  to get her relocated nearer the pens.  I was really beginning to lose hope since I never actually saw her stand.  Husband said he got her up once with the loader after about a week and stood for a couple minutes with back legs splayed wide before giving out. Never on her own till this morning.  Guess like everything (even us) after a injury it may take time to get healed up enough!!

Anyway.. just wanted to update everyone as not to give up on a good one.  Not sure if she'll ever be the same but seemed pretty good this morning.  Regardless hopefully at least can get her to the auction in a few weeks... or hopefully fully recover since we've only had one calf out of her since we got her.  (she's about a 4-5 year old).
THANKS SO MUCH Cowman for your recommendations... beats shooting her any day!
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!  Blessings to ALL!

loveRedcows

FANTASTIC!  Hope she continues to improve.  We had one the vet told us would probably never recover (you could hear the 'grind' sound in her lumbar), she's a little slow but has given us 3 really nice calves since - just requires a little extra care.  Cowman52 has helped us out plenty of times!

rackranch

Even though she is up I would still try to find an Animal Chiropractor in the area to come out and look at her.

Glad she is doing better.