Cow with three toes!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

This is the foot of a 4 year old brahman cow that we have.  We noticed she was moving slower than normal and found this "thing" growing out of her foot. What is it and can it be fixed?

Attachments

• ajfoot1.jpg
    ajfoot1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 240
  • ajfoot2.jpg
    ajfoot2.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 218
  • ajfoot3.jpg
    ajfoot3.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 213
  • ajfoot4.jpg
    ajfoot4.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 204

HGC

Frostback is correct, it is a corn.  They can be very painfull and that is why she is moving slower.  We had a couple last year for the first time.  Not as big as that one, but we had a hoof trimmer out and he cut them out quite easily.

Lucky_P

Yes. Your vet can do it.  Whether or not they want to is another matter.
Back in the Dark Ages, when I was in vet school, they taught us what to do with them. Don't know if they still teach it at all vet schools or not.
Helps to have a tilt table, but I did a few when I was in practice, and we didn't have one - just knocked 'em down with appropriate drugs, did local nerve blocks, cut the 'corn' (digital fibropapilloma) out, and wired the toes together.

cowcrazy

Thanks for the info! I will contact my vet and see if he will be able to tackle it.

cowcrazy

After talking to my vet, he is afraid to do too much because the cow is due to calf within the next month. He also believes that they most likely will come back. So, what do I do - calf her out and ship her when the calf is old enough to wean or spend some money and have him cut the corns out and wait to see if they come back? She is only 4 years old and this will be her second calf. Can the corns be nipped off, or do you have to go all the way in and remove them?