cow wont breed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bertch

I got a purebred angus cow bought as an open cow last september. I AI'd her and though she was bred but she recently came back in. so i bred her with two straws this time and she still didnt breed. Any ideas why she wont breed? she's been of free choice minerals and oathay planted over a new alfalfa crop. so she should breed. any ideas would be appreciated.

yuppiecowboy

Too many reasons to list. Being an open mature cow when you bought her might be the first sign that she is a problem breeder. If she is something special, or for some reasons warrants the hassle, have a vet check her. In my world she earned a ticket to McDonalds and move on.

Bertch

she had a 300 pund calf on her that was amazing and she has done an outstanding job with it since i got her. she was a good deal. if she dosent breed this time im shipping her

herefordfootball

I would set her up on shots and get a CIDR in her, and breed her off that heat. If she doesnt take then, I would have the vet check her out and see what he or she says.

DTW

I have seen this and heard of mature cows not breeding back easy after being left open to long.  What seems to work the best is let a bull breed her naturally.  Then after she has that calf you can go ahead and get her bred artificially.

Show Steaks

if you are gonna give her more time. i recomend throwing her in a  big pasture and making her EXCERCISE its no garauntee but it shoudl help an over pampered cow

Show Heifer

How old is she?  How many calves has she raised?  Many times "open ready to flush" means "didn't breed".  Also, putting spring calving cows into the fall program because they came up open isn't the best program due to the fact they are showing signs of infertility. So, as much as I hate to say it. If she hasn't bred yet, it probably isn't looking to well for you or her!

justme

maybe its you...why not send her out with the bull??  Human error in A.I. can happen and sometimes the best thing to do is send them out with the bull and let nature take its course

Bertch

Thanks for all the sugestions and ideas. I don't have a cleanup bull that's why I'm still messing around with breeding her. I bred her to a bull today that has bred everything I have ever used jim on. So I'll cross my fingers again. The guy I bought her from was going to turn a bull out with the pairs I bought from him, but I told him I wanted to AI so he didn't. Wish I hadn't done that now. Somebody once told me that some cows are realy hard to breed AI but catch naturally just fine. Maybe this is the case.

xxcc

coachmac said:
I know this is more common in heifers, but you might ask the vet about a ovarian cyst. 
i agree, she could be cystic.  try giving her a shot of GnRH

but if she was open when you bought her, and if she has been flushed, she may have been over-stimulated and poof...she's done.

trademark

herefordfootball said:
I would set her up on shots and get a CIDR in her, and breed her off that heat. If she doesnt take then, I would have the vet check her out and see what he or she says.
set her up on what kind of shots?

justintime

Occasionally I have seen a cow that just doesn't want to conceive to AI breeding. Not sure if this is the problem here or not. I would start with having her checked out by a vet. Maybe she is cystic. If the vet says that everything appears to be in order, you are at least starting knowing that she has a chance to rebreed. It could simply be the fact that she is not getting AI bred at the proper time, or not getting rebred properly. I recently had a cow that would not rebreed, after having what appeared to be a normal calving. She seemed to settle for several weeks then would appear in heat again. I had my ET vet examine her and he felt that she had scar tissue on her cervix and he felt this may have occurred from a small tear when she calved. This scar tissue was not allowing the certix to close properly to allow the cow to maintain her pregnancy. If everything appears normal, and she still fails to catch to AI breeding, you may have to get her bred by a bull and see if that will work.

xxcc

trademark said:
herefordfootball said:
your choice for PG and GnRH.  when you breed her, also give her a shot of Banamine.

herefordfootball

trademark said:
herefordfootball said:

Setting her up on shots includes: On day one: give her one shot of GnRH/Ovacyst,
                                                    7days later: giver her a shot of PG/lutalyse
                                                    2 1/2 days later: one shot of GnRH/Ovacyst again, and AI right after the shot.

We've only done this synchronization plan a few times, but we've got 100% ai rate the few times we have done it.

Downtown Pete

Don't know if this helps you in your case, but I've had some luck with taking donor cows that won't breed and putting eggs in them.  We just set them up with the normal reciept cows and put a really easy calving egg in them.  The percentage of having these cows stick is lower than the other reciepts but I have seen several occasions where it worked.  The guy I used to work for had several donors that we couldn't get bred for two or three years after extensive flushing and we had a few of them stick.  My best guess is the problems with getting them to settle was somewhere in the first week, because by bypassing the whole breeding process we got some to stick.  I've got another donor that will be getting this done this summer.  Its kind of a last resort on donor cows that are too good to go to the salebarn.

mainegirl

I have a cow that wouldn't catch when we AI'd her. We put her in with the bull and she caught. The next year we AI'd her twice. So we decided to put an embryo in her and are expecting her to calve any day now. So I would try to throw her out with the bull and if that doesn't work, try sticking an egg in her.

trademark

herefordfootball said:
trademark said:
herefordfootball said:

Setting her up on shots includes: On day one: give her one shot of GnRH/Ovacyst,
                                                     7days later: giver her a shot of PG/lutalyse
                                                     2 1/2 days later: one shot of GnRH/Ovacyst again, and AI right after the shot.

We've only done this synchronization plan a few times, but we've got 100% ai rate the few times we have done it.
This will make in infertile cow fertile?  Wow.  Thats so simple.  Why would anyone ever haul an open cow to the sale barn if this is all you need to do?