Cows or Bulls that it was tough parting ways

Help Support Steer Planet:

nativeman

Just got rid of old Shorthorn cow,13yrs.old.would not breed back and getting slow on feet.Have two daughters in herd,two sons in tank, and about twenty eggs in tank.How many others out there have had aspecial animal hard to part with.

Warrior10

I'll more then likely be facing it next fall when we wean. Have a cow we bought at 7 years old, she is now 13. Has stuck AI the first time every time, always has quality calves. All sound, daughters milk, she milks great. Just afraid father time is catching up to her. It'll be a tough choice.

kiblercattle

Have a tc stockman daughter born in 2000. Has a 364 day calving interval and I have 22 decendants in my herd. I was planning on letting her stay here until her passing but the bull was breeding her the other day and got her down and hurt her. Sorted her and her calf off and put them in a pen. As soon as weaning time comes she'll have to go.

nativeman

You got lucky she got back up.Had that happen last year to a couple cows,11 and 13 year old .both got up and timed AIed them.Both do to calve this year I think.

b_kackley

My toughest was my first calf. My grandfather gave her to me for my work on the farm. I showed her at the fair and brought her home. After 14 years I had to sell her cause she was open. Hate to admit it but there may have been tears.

diamonddls

My first full blood hefiers that was also my first successful show cow a 99model that I finally parted with last fall. Always had good quality calves wished I knew at younger age what I know now would have kept a lot more of those good calves around. Have two daughter and two grand daughters and a grandson in the tank. Just wished I kept all the daughters when I was younger.

J

JTM

This past year we retired both CF Star Bucks and TG/RRA Complete 421U. Both of these bulls were very difficult to get rid of. CF Star Bucks pretty much put us on the map. He was an all American in the show ring but brought us one step closer to commercial acceptance with decent calving ease(not on heifers), good feet, fertility, and great structural correctness. Complete was as thick and stout of a bull that you could find. Just an awesome beast to lay eyes upon. The performance of his feeder cattle are awesome. It was a tough thing to do but we are moving forward with newer and better genetics that will compliment the foundation these two great bulls made.  :'(

JRapp

Of my own... My first heifer.  A purebred Limi that had an attitude of her own.  She was 13 when I had to haul her off.  She always bred back first time and raised the heaviest calves.  Of course you couldn't get too close to the calves until they were 4 or 5 months old.  I remember once we were checking for new babies one night.  She had just calved.  I pulled up next to her in the suburban (I knew better to try and get out and check the calf on foot) I was looking out the window at the calf and she about came in! She wasn't wild but was very protective!

Another hard one was my sons steer from two years ago, "Larry", he was a special calf that the whole family enjoyed, not to mention he did a bit of winning with him.  When I had to load him up to take him to the locker it was hard.  It was especially hard for my son for a lil while.