Coyote problems ?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohioteerchick

is anyone having more problems with them than usual ?

I'm not sure if its where we have recently buried a cow or what but there on the other side of the farm from where the cow is buried and they get closer to the house every night, me and my sister were waiting on the bus about 3 days ago and one ran out into the middle of the road about 100 feet from us. I'm just concerned about our cows since there all pregnant.

ROAD WARRIOR

6 years ago we had coyote problems in our cows. Within 2 weeks we lost 4 calves to them. At that point and time I declared war on them and started stringing snares in the fences where I knew they were crossing. The first year I took over 80 coyotes out of 3 pastures, the second year I took over 60 out of the same pastures, by the third year I was down to about 20. Every year since the start we I have caught fewer and fewer, last year I took maybe 12 out. We don't have problems with coyotes any more, but I'm not going to give them a chance to start again. One word of caution - snares are nonselective and will catch and probably kill anything that gets caught in them, including your dog or the neighbors dog. I have a rule here in my 3 pastures - it is if your dog is in my cows, I will haul the carcass back to you if you want to bury it. If not keep it at home where it belongs. RW

LN

We always have trouble with coyotes and I agree with RW that snares are the best way to take them out.

Carrying a gun around is good too, but usually by the time I get the gun out and ready to shoot the coyote is long gone.

rtmcc

kjd farms said:
Your best investment would be a donkey, they may not look like they do much, but they work for us.
I agree!  Since we started letting our donkeys run with the cow herd while they are not busy at the show barn we have not seen hide nor hair of a coyote in the pasture.  Before that they used to cut thru all the time.  Helps the donkeys earn their keep in their slow season.

Cattledog

kjd farms said:
Your best investment would be a donkey, they may not look like they do much, but they work for us.

We have a donkey and and have pulled 3 completely mashed coyotes out of our pasture!  One word of advice...get a Jenny.  The Jacks can be mean and real hard on your cows and calves.  Our donkey has been pretty good.  Hardly know she is around.

herefordfootball

We have a full grown German Shepard so.....  ;)

Someone who is good with a .22 or at setting large animal traps would take care of ur problem too.

Cattledog

new comer said:
I've heard that Lamas work also. 

Really?  Man a donkey is bad enough.....there is know way I can make the jump to a lama!

Nasc

We hear them constantly down here in the valley too. Three Australian Cattle Dogs running freely (in an under ground fence system) seems to keep the coyotes at bay. We did lose a calf once up on top the hill that we never found and have often wondered if it was the coyotes but I’m thinking it may have been one of those over-zealous hunters……… you know the kind that shoot first, make excuses later. 

CJB

kjd farms said:

Have to agree with this one.  Got 1st donkey about 10 years ago, and no coyote problems for the last 9.  Now, it is rare to even see or hear one.

Shady Lane

My fmily has raised and sold a lot of Donkeys over the years and sold piles for predator protection. (likely a hundred or more)

You do have to be careful in pastures with creep feeders as they seem to be great at wiggling into them and foundering themselves.

I'v had a few around my place and shot a couple of them, around here it is very open and they are hard to get within .22 range.

I have found .30-06 to be a littme more eefective at "reaching out and touching" 'yotes.

(clapping)

wrc

I have tried lammas and guard donkeys without much luck. I have even watched coyotes walk between them and the cattle without getting a reaction from them. I've found a 25.06 works pretty good. If you get a nieghbors dog its best to leave em lay and never say anything, people think there dogs can do no harm. I won't tolerate someones dogs in my pastures.

kjd farms

We have never had a problem with our donkeys chasing the cattle.  There were lamas here and the male was terrible at riding cows in heat and chewing their ears, etc...  I once heard a stat that more people are killed in Mexico by donkeys than airplane crashes.  Check out youtube, I have heard there are some videos of donkeys in action.  Our experience has been the coyotes might go in the field, but they won't attack anything as long as the donkeys are anyways close.

Ohioteerchick

Thanks for your input, this weekend I'm going with my uncle to hunt for them, were actually getting a breaking donkey and were keeping it with them cows when were not using him.

And we've also had problems with wild dogs, one year either a coyote or wild dog came up behind one of our cows and pratically chewed her tail stwich off, that took hours to clean up when we found her about an hour later, she lived.

But not much problems with dogs, as much as coyotes

F5CHASER

Don't mean to show my ignorance here but what is a coyote snare?  Are you talking about a steel trap that they step on and then it catches their foot?

ROAD WARRIOR

F5CHASER said:
Don't mean to show my ignorance here but what is a coyote snare?  Are you talking about a steel trap that they step on and then it catches their foot?

It is a steel cable that is fashioned like a noose. It is hung in a fence or trail at such a heighth that it catches them around the neck and tightens up. RW

Latest posts