Creep Feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

Rockefeller

What does everyone use for creep feed?  Have used a couple different concoctions in the past, just wandering if there is something we're missing.
Thanks

nate53

We used to grind corn and square bales of alfalfa together (works good).  We now get a pelleted feed from ADM that makes them grow and not get so fleshy so early - it also helps in the weaning process as far as keeping them from getting sick.

grs

200lbs of corn, 200lbs of pellets, and 600lbs of oats. Make sure they still get hay and you shouldn't have any problems.

AAOK

I fed my Show Ration to everything!  Babies would be eating with their Mammas at 2-3 weeks.

cattleboy

What type of protein pellets do you say works the best? I've used Purinas 32 w/o and it seems to really make calves grow but it takes a while for it to start working but then once it does, they grow like weeds. My main problem with that is it burns the hair because they grow so quick. I used it on my steers since I dont put much money/time into my steers.

cattleboy

nate53 said:
We used to grind corn and square bales of alfalfa together (works good).  We now get a pelleted feed from ADM that makes them grow and not get so fleshy so early - it also helps in the weaning process as far as keeping them from getting sick.

What was that called from ADM?

twistedhshowstock

We have our show feed mixed, the guy mixing it was already mixing a ration for some people that were feeding their own replacements and such.  The ration is very similar to our show ration just a little less hot and doesnt have as much cotton seed hull in it. We decided to use that in the creep feeder this year and the calves are rockin and rollin on it.

Gargan

twistedhshowstock said:
We have our show feed mixed, the guy mixing it was already mixing a ration for some people that were feeding their own replacements and such.  The ration is very similar to our show ration just a little less hot and doesnt have as much cotton seed hull in it. We decided to use that in the creep feeder this year and the calves are rockin and rollin on it.

how much cotten seed hull /ton do u use if u do not mind me asking?

twistedhshowstock

Gargan said:
twistedhshowstock said:

how much cotten seed hull /ton do u use if u do not mind me asking?

I have to find my recipe, but I will get it to you? I just moved so everything is lost in transition, lol. I think its 300 lbs but dont quote me on that.  But thats in our show feed, its very little in the creep. Its very similar to many other recipes, mostly ground corn, oats, cotton seed hull, ADM 14% protein pellet, and a little bit of mollases.