Crop land conversion

Help Support Steer Planet:

FutureBreeder2013

How long does it take to change a crop producing field to a pasture suitable for cattle.

My family has a farm that we are currently renting out and I was doing some thinking ahead and wondered if it was even possible.

??? ???

nkotb

It can be done.  I would do more research before I did though.  Most pastureland is such because it is not suitable for growing a cash grain crop.  If you are going to try to do it, I would plant a mix of warm and cool-season grasses, as well as some type or types of legume.  I would also set it up so you could rotational graze the farm and intensively manage it to try to get as much return as you are getting from renting it out to grow crops.

Familyguy

We have taken crop ground out of production and put into equip program with the NRCS. Contact me if you have questions.

knabe

people in OK plant something called spar i think.  seems to work ok after a couple of years.

one person who has done some of this is tim ohlde.  he did this a long time ago, ie 80's.  i can attest personally that it works.

jbw

I would not follow the NRCS guides in Northern IA, They have the seeding rates to low. I have seeded down 170 a from crop to pasture and will not follow their guidelines any more. The fescue that they want you to put in will not winter in n IA.  I would get your soil types and figure from there.  The heavy hoof traffic areas need a dense sod forming grass, brome, blue ect.  I really like orchard in the mix. Also, I have had great luck with birdsfoot trefoil, I takes a couple years to get It established, Haying it the first year is your best bet, as the young seedlings cannot take the hoof traffic. 

I would stongly suggest to use the NRCS to help set up a rotational system, with watering facilities. They have EQUIP money available for cross fencing, seeding, watering, and pay a fee for controlled grazing for up to five years.  They have incentives for seeding down cropland as well.

Test the ph of your soil, as it is alot easier to apply lime before you seeding.

knabe

think seed bank.  once it's in the soil, it's in the bank.  i agree on the treefoil.  it took mine two years to get going.  sometimes orchard grass needs to be mowed off to get rid of the dead stuff if it's not eaten.

Reinken Cattle Co.

I dont know much about the NRCS rules just herd someone talking big about it here in central Iowa... when we seeded grass this past spring we put oats in too and green cut the oats real good winter feed and then get a late fall pasture..

jbw

I forgot to mention that I have had the best luck with the Barenbrug product. They carry the full line at Albert Lea Seed House.  Tom and the guys will take care of all your needs there.

I seeded some of the fields according to soil type, pain in the rear when I did it, but, It really paid off. I think it is very interesting how different grasses take to different soil types.

hamburgman

We put in a small pasture about 10 years ago.  Had awesome luck with sowing the pasture mix down with oats to protect the coming grass.  The exact pasture mix I can't remember, but I do like brome, some orchard (not to much), bluegrass, and a trickle of alfalfa in there doesn't hurt either in my opinion.  If you do put in alfalfa you can't spray with the grazon and such I am told, so we just walk that pasture with a corn knife.  You can green chop your oats to make the ground work for your cows that first year, and probably get a cutting of grass off of it in the fall (we did).  The next year I wouldn't graze I would hay and make sure you put plenty of nitrogen out there.  We got over 700 bales  (55 lbs.) off of a few acre piece by doing this.  The next year it should be ready for cows.  I would also suggest thinking twice before putting a small and odd shaped piece of ground into hay.  Everybody forgets it is 4 cuttings (sometimes 5) and each cutting is three trips (windrow, rake, bale).  I have raked plenty of odd shaped fields and it is nothing but a pain in the ass and makes you sick to your stomach to see such a crappy job when you get done.

BadgerFan

knabe said:
hmmm.  sucraseed.

I interseeded some last spring.  Took off ok last year in spite of NO rain all summer.  Will let you know how it does this summer.  I should have included some legume, I suspect.  That'll be next probably.

jbw

I also put chicory in part of it, It must have a 30ft. taproot, because if its dry and everything else stops, chicory keeps going.  If managed right the cows love it. Its one of the highest TDN feeds out there.