Crystallization/kidney stones with steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

TomC

Has anyone dealt with crystallization in the sheath/kidney stones with their steer before?  I started top dressing with Ammonium Chloride to help...just wondering if anyone has other remedies to help with this.  The steer is an April '08 and weighs about 1,200lbs.  Our last show is not until the end of August.  Any advice would be great.
Thank you!

shortyjock89

Give him a 5 gallon bucket of Cranberry Juice! It worked for my dad lol. 

simtal

can increase the salt in the ration to make them drink more, flush it out.  Its hard to correct the problem once it starts.  If his bladder ruptures and he fills up with urine, not a good deal.  I've seewere the "plumbing was re-routed" and the steer went like a heifer, it'll make you do a double take.

SouthWest

I would question your feed manufacturere.  Sounds like there is a deficiency in the feed's premix.  You should consult a nutritionist so this doesn't happen again.  On a true but funny note.  If you are able to find the stone, it will bring some money in asia.  There is a demand for them as crazy as it may seem.  Ask your vetenarian.

Throttle

fed one like that years ago. vet told me that as long as i didn't limit his water he'd be fine

muleman

we shot one on the wash rack nine days before the fair. He started out not feeling right and a week later the stones blocked his urinary track, the vet worked hard to save him but we didn't want to end up with a water belly. Keep a close eye on him and good luck.

inthebarnagain

We had one last year that did the very same thing, actually dribbled urine and stood stretched out with his back humped up.  When we figured out what it was and started with the ammonium chloride it took about a week and he actually was able to urinate a stream instead of just continuous dribble, very bloody at first though.  Keep up with the ammonium chloride, he will be fine.  This steer actually went on to win reserve grand champion at our county fair!

inthebarnagain

The Angus magazine had a great article on urinary calculi in cattle

http://angusthemagazine.com/currentissue/2009/jan/urinarystonesincattle.html

another good one is

http://angusthemagazine.com/currentissue/2009/jan/urinarystonesincattle.html

It doesn't take much of the ammonium chloride, something like 1 to 2% of the ration, the second article gives specifics on dosing and prevention.  I know you are supposed to give them alfalfa hay versus a grass hay and all the water they will drink, this is the key.