cull cow market.

Help Support Steer Planet:

lcattleco.

What are some of your thoughts on the cull cow market.  Have grass and wondering if the market will get higher later in the fall.  If it pays to hold on to them for another month or 2.  Just wondering what others thoughts are.

BRdoc

What I have been told by Oklahoma State University and local buyers is this: They figure the majority of the cow runs will be over by the end of September. At that time the cow market will sky rocket. Don't know about the end of September but, I do believe the cow market will be really high within a couple of months. If I had the grass, I would be buying alot of cows now. Just my two cents.

DLD

What BRdoc says should be true... If we get some significant rain in the drought stricken areas of Oklahoma and Texas (and maybe some other places).  If not, I (and the cattle buyers I deal with every week) believe the liquidation will continue.  There's going to have to be enough moisture soon enough to get some grass growing this fall, and to get some wheat pasture - if that happens, cows will keep getting higher.  Granted, alot of us have seen some moisture in the past couple weeks, but even the areas that picked up a couple of inches will need more rain in the next thirty days or we'll be right back where we were three weeks ago.  Of course, even if liquidation continues, I think prices will at least stay fairly steady, because there may not be that many cows left to liquidate... I'm sure the farther you are from this area, the less it will affect your market, but we send at least one load of packer cows a week to Nebraska from our little sale barn in western OK, so it's bound to have pretty far reaching effects.

TMBCATTLE

JUST MY TWO CENTS BUT JUST HOW MUCH HIGHER DO YOU WANT IT TO GO? IN WESTERN ILLINOIS WE ALREADY HAVE $.70 TO .$95 CENT CULL COWS AND ON OCCASION THEY MIGHT TICK HIGHER YET.. CULL BULLS. $.90 TO $1.05 PER POUND. I SURE DONT THINK WE ARE GETTING HURT. HOWEVER I KNOW THAT IN SOME PARTS OF THE COUNTRY THIS IS PROBABLY NOT NORMAL, BUT WE HAVE A VERY COULD CULL MARKET AD HAVE HAD FOR SOME TIME.. I HOPE EVERY ONE GET S SOME RAIN SOON WHERE IT IS NEEDED.

DLD

TMB, we were in the upper end of that range for awhile earlier in the summer, but now the lower end of that range you stated is our top end, and some weeks there's darn few that'll bring that. In the month of July we were selling 6 to 8 times as many cows every week as we would have been in a normal year, now we're just running 3 or 4 times as many. I don't know where it will leave packer cows when (if) we get back into rebuilding stage, but everyone here is expecting bred middle aged (6-7) cows to be $1500 plus (maybe plus quite a bit) as replacements.