cure for slipping halter?

Help Support Steer Planet:

skeeter

could use some ideas on a calf that has learned to slip his rope halter off, tied low, high or however, this calf rubs against anything and gets it over his left ear then works till he slips out.  we've tied him high, low, ever which way and then sit there and watch him within 10 minutes, he's free.  I've gone over and popped him on the nose when he starts - didn't help - he just waits till I walk away.  we've started using a neck tie when he's tied up.  there's got to be something we can fix or tie under the chin to keep that from slipping over his ear - any suggestions?

luv2show21

I've seen a lot of people take a smaller size rope with a snap clip at the end and tie one side of it to the halter and run the clip end under their jaw and clip it to the other side of the halter (or if you don't have a clip, just tie it to the other side).  That should keep the halter on them.  I've not had to do it, but I've seen it a lot at shows over the years and had some friends who have had to do it.  Seems to work just fine.

vc

We had an Angus steer that was like that, we took a horse halter and put it over the rope halter running the lead end through the buckle on the side, could still control the calf with the rope halter and he could not slip it. The one time we forgot to put it on him at the county fair he cruised the barn all night getting into everything.

afhm

bungee cord (the old black ones), the calf will get a white hair outline of the halter on its head from this.  Maybe put two halters on and tie from both sides.