Cut Above, AKA "Fat Butt" Semen UPDATE

Help Support Steer Planet:

SEA

I am sorry to report that I was informed by my ABS Representative yesterday that...

ABS will "not" be marketing the PB Simmental bull, Cut Above, AKA "Fat Butt", due to "High Blood Titer for Lepto".

Seems they had the bull in for thier "normal routine/procedure  of isolation, testing, and screening did he would not pass.  :(

1. To someone that has knowledge of a High Blood Titer for Lepto in beef breeding cattle, could you please explain exactly what this means?
2. Why does ABS test for it, and what does it means to us as a cattle breeders if we use his semen from another semen distributor or from the owner of the bull, that would most likely carry this "High Blood Titer for Lepto"?

As I said above, this is information just related to me by my ABS Rep.  It is no way an attempt to discredit this bull in any way.  If anyone has any different news or opinion, or if this staus changes. please let us know.

It is an unfortunate turn of events for Willie Morris, ABS, and ABS Customers to learn of such news.  As I and many other breeders like this bull, and were planning on using him this upcoming breeding season and still may, just not through ABS.  :)

Simnetix

1.  Titer is just a gauge.  In Fat Butt's case, he was vaccinated prior to being carried by ABS with a Live Lepto vaccine.  The titer is high because of the short amount of time in vaccination & testing.
2. ABS started requiring all cattle be Candadian Approved just prior to Christmas.  I was informed about 30% of the bulls they carried at the time the new rule was passed, failed this same test, all because they were vaccinated shortly before hand.  In speaking with Iowa State University Vet Lab as well as ABS, there's NO chance of Lepto being passed through frozen semen, moreless a moderate titer level such as FB's.
3.  Fat Butt may very well be carried by ABS, although his titer needs to come down a little.  As always, his semen is available through all major distributors. But, please get semen ordered early, we had a great sales week and we're very low on semen at this time. 

Thank you,

Willie Morris

I am sorry to report that I was informed by my ABS Representative yesterday that...

ABS will "not" be marketing the PB Simmental bull, Cut Above, AKA "Fat Butt", due to "High Blood Titer for Lepto".

Seems they had the bull in for thier "normal routine/procedure  of isolation, testing, and screening did he would not pass.   :(

1. To someone that has knowledge of a High Blood Titer for Lepto in beef breeding cattle, could you please explain exactly what this means?
2. Why does ABS test for it, and what does it means to us as a cattle breeders if we use his semen from another semen distributor or from the owner of the bull, that would most likely carry this "High Blood Titer for Lepto"?

As I said above, this is information just related to me by my ABS Rep.  It is no way an attempt to discredit this bull in any way.  If anyone has any different news or opinion, or if this staus changes. please let us know.

It is an unfortunate turn of events for Willie Morris, ABS, and ABS Customers to learn of such news.  As I and many other breeders like this bull, and were planning on using him this upcoming breeding season and still may, just not through ABS.  :)
[/quote]

firesweepranch

Willie
Our ABS rep said the same thing, but said he would be available as soon as he passes the test. They explained it to us just like you did, about the titer being high because he was vaccinated before testing. But they gave everyone hope that Fat Butt would be available soon. I am just GLAD I got semen from you last year, so I have mine for this Spring breeding  ;D

Hey, Willie, what about the post earlier stating he was having HIGH birth weights? Someone on the maternal Simmental thread stated he was having HUGE calves... some having to be cut out. Is this the norm? I thought he was safe for heifers?
Set me straight, would you???  ;)
Thanks

ploughshare

I guess I am a bit confused on this deal.  I know that ABS markets semen collected by other bull studs and the stud code for Fatt Butt is listed as 137 meaning Nichols Cryo-genetics collected the semen they are marketing.  I am guessing ABS requested a blood draw while he was at NCG for analysis by ISU and basing their decision on the test results, no?  I am also guessing the lepto vaccine or booster  maybe was  required by NCG prior to delivery or collection.  This is  unfortunate to say the least. Hopefully, ABS will not drop him all together while his titer drops.

I knew a Swiss breeder in North Iowa that lost his entire herd due to a similar situation with brucellosis vaccine given too late and a positive test indicating one infected heifer.  That was a shame.

Simnetix

As far as BW's, we've received reports from all over the country and BW's seem to rise the further north you go, no matter what breed or sire.  In the southern half of the US I have received not one report of a large calf.   In the far north, where we get much colder, cows eat much more and we have larger BW's.   In fact, I cut a calf out Friday night, simply because the cow was too fat internally....calf weighed a whopping 80#.   I sure won't blame the bull.

When we hear of BW issues, I'm sure to ask, what they feed, what breed the cows are, condition of cows, location and BW's on other sires.   Virtually every time, cows are in the far North and all of their sire BW's are high, as well as cows being in great condition.   People are quick to point fingers at bulls, we forget the bull is only 1/3 of the equation.....cow & pedigree 1/3 as well as environment at 1/3.  

Fat Butt reports most always include that they come easy, betwee 65-85, are virorous, super bone, hair, cool necked.  One prominent breeder mentioned the FB's at 30-45 days are without a doubt the stoutest, hairiest and coolest Simmental calves he'd ever seen.   Fat Butt's a changer in that respect.

People are excited to hear reports on Fat Butt and if so, feel free to email me, text or call me, I'd be glad to give you a name & number of someone in your area with experience using Fat Butt.  All of my info is on my website (www.williemorriscattle.com).  People can say whatever they'd like, true or false on forums, not have to worry about repercussion's, because not many sign their name.

Glenstory: ABS calls weekly seeking CSS approved semen, they're very excited, will just take a little time to lower the titer.

Thank You,

Willie Morris

firesweepranch said:
Willie
Our ABS rep said the same thing, but said he would be available as soon as he passes the test. They explained it to us just like you did, about the titer being high because he was vaccinated before testing. But they gave everyone hope that Fat Butt would be available soon. I am just GLAD I got semen from you last year, so I have mine for this Spring breeding  ;D

Hey, Willie, what about the post earlier stating he was having HIGH birth weights? Someone on the maternal Simmental thread stated he was having HUGE calves... some having to be cut out. Is this the norm? I thought he was safe for heifers?
Set me straight, would you???  ;)
Thanks

kfacres

Simnetix said:
When we hear of BW issues, I'm sure to ask, what they feed, what breed the cows are, condition of cows, location and BW's on other sires.   Virtually every time, cows are in the far North and all of their sire BW's are high, as well as cows being in great condition.   People are quick to point fingers at bulls, we forget the bull is only 30% of the equation.....cow & pedigree 30% as well as environment at 30%.  
Thank You,

Willie Morris

firesweepranch said:
Willie
Set me straight, would you???  ;)
Thanks

what's the other 10% :eek:

SEA

Thanks Willie!!  Sure appreciate the info!  Both on the ABS deal and the birht weight issue! 

Sure like your bull!!

kfacres

WhoaFlicka said:
when i went to school 1/3 was 33.3333333333 or is this the stuff my kids call new math  <beer>

read more carefully smart mouth...

When I posted my dumb comment...  The post said 30%...  Read the bottom..
« Last Edit: Today at 11:53:08 AM by Simnetix » ..

Now read when I wrote my post, was 2 hours before...  Sure is a good thing they fixed the 30% to 1/3..

Now who's needing to go back to school... to learn how to do that thing we call reading. <beer>

chevelle

What I like about the fatt buts that i have seen so far, is that there is a high percentage of baldies.  Most have white on there face including out of angus cows.  I AI'ed a bunch of cows to fat butt last year for a nieghbor.  Calves look good and all were under 90lbs. O0

SEA

3.  Fat Butt may very well be carried by ABS, although his titer needs to come down a little.  As always, his semen is available through all major distributors. But, please get semen ordered early, we had a great sales week and we're very low on semen at this time. 

Willie:

Approximately how long before Fatt Butt will be re-tested or checked by ABS, and how long before ABS would have Fat Butt semen available for distribution?  ???

I am considering using him for some late May and early June breeding.  Should I be purchasing my his semen from another Beef Semen Distributor for this time period?  :-\

Thanks,

SEA

Willie:

Approximately how long before Fatt Butt will be re-tested or checked by ABS, and how long before ABS would have Fat Butt semen available for distribution?  ???

I am considering using him for some late May and early June breeding.  Should I be purchasing my his semen from another Beef Semen Distributor for this time period?  :-\

Thanks,

Willie,

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Thanks for the PM!![/size][/size]​

firesweepranch

Bringing up an old thread, but I am wondering the status of fat butt and ABS?  I just got my semen order from our ABS Rep and he said fat butt has still not passed his health tests. Any word Willie on when he might pass?

CAB

Willie can sure pipe in B/C he'll know better than anyone, but if he hasn't passed by now, he probably never will. I wouldn't be concerned about it though and I would just use other avenues to get the semen if necessary. JMO

firesweepranch

CAB said:
Willie can sure pipe in B/C he'll know better than anyone, but if he hasn't passed by now, he probably never will. I wouldn't be concerned about it though and I would just use other avenues to get the semen if necessary. JMO
You read my mind. Unfortunately I am spoiled; my ABS Rep lives very close and fills our tank, and our Genex Rep is just around the corner. I don't have to pay shipping.  Guess I'll have to look elsewhere ....

Gargan

my abs rep is coming next month and is bringing me some units of fat butt. he never mentioned any prob to me.