CUT or BULL

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sammy

It seems that you have named him and made a video of him already, but you asked for opinions - he is a stout calf with rib shape issues - however unfortunately he reminds me of some that I have bred that even the buyers at the sale barn will discount - under stress and a haul he might get put in the cripple pen - it probably took him a good deal of time to stand up when he was born and for a while probably struggled around a bit on his knees following the cow - that right knee is pretty bad in the video and he has much trouble moving off the front - he might not make it to 800 pounds - sorry to be blunt but that is what I see -  sell while he can still walk a little - he is not the kind that you want to reproduce -

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I sure appreciate your interest an thank you for  your time ....Don't worry about the name or any of the other stuff, The calf isn't mine an I was helping some friends who also have other calves in my sale ...I went up north an saw him last night an they have him in an working on him, I hadn;t seen him since the video ....I was comparing him to Muddy Water when he was a calf an he had more flex in his leg , an SF has more shoulder ,he didn''t turn out to bad on his front feet ,an the people that have  have a young man that could show  next year or we might sell as a steer if looks better after steering ....It sure made me see the difference  in him an Mudddy wATER ,MW wasn't clean but for all the muscle he had has stayed very sound , an was breeding cows in two outfits last year an is at one in Ne, this year ....Hope it has been interesting ...

chambero

I have seen some young calves truly grow out of the bucking over problem I've observed at a few days old, but not one this big.  Combined with the fact he's an Alias which is a problem that bull is known for, I'm afraid this one gets thrown into the "almost a great one" category, but instead needs to go to the feedlot.

MKC Showcattle

This calf has a nice over all appearenc!  :)  in your first picture it looks like he could use some more depth. I do think he is to straight in his front legs.

RH

When debating this I think you have to ask yourself what makes this bull unique. How is he going to be more marketeable then any other bull out there. Is he the best smokey bull? Is he the best Alias son? Is he the best clean club bull? If he isnt any of those things than why keep him a bull.

chambero

Not that I'd keep him, but not every bull kept has to be the best there is at something.  There is a huge need for just good solid bulls, which this one would probably be except for the front legs.

Big Bry

This here is the latest pic of Smoke Free we are just about to wean from his mother and hes an impressive little calve!

Attachments

• Smoke Free.jpg
    Smoke Free.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 161

forbes family farms

If you're asking me cut him, i just don't like the front legs on him needs to be more flexed. Other then that pretty nice steer or bull what ever you choose.