Dakota Gold

Help Support Steer Planet:

tande

How do the Dakota Gold's feed out and what is their temperament? I have saw some great calves out of him this year but I have been hesitant with the history of hard doing of Yellow Jacket calves and I have also heard they don't have the best attitude. I have younger kids that having only been showing a few years and want to make sure they still have a good experience.  Anyone had good or bad experiences?

hedgesjp1985

I have a Dakota gold heifer and at weaning time her attitude was horrible, she was the most flighty calf I've ever had she was afraid of her own shadow.    But , after 2 weeks of working with her and taking her to one show she is the only animal I've ever had that I can walk up to and will wrap her head around me and hug me she is the friendliest and best mannered animal I will probably ever have.    She is great with my 3 year old daughter also.  And she bred on the first try she will freshen in January to I 80.  I like her enough I bought another Dakota gold from my cousin out of an Ali x Meyer cow, I'm hoping she has similar attitude.

hntwhitetail

The DG that I had was very docile.  Was an easy one to get started in tbe creep feeder.  The dam is also really docile.  I sold him @ a month old,  and kept him on tbe farm w creep till be was weaned.  I think DG clicks w tbe Ali blood lines like his dad Monopoly does.

iowabeef

We had 2 Dakota Golds this year....a steer and a heifer.  Both were VERY docile.  In fact, the steer was one of the calmest calves we have ever had.  I would say an unpleasant trait I noticed with many Dakota Golds isn't their demeanor but rather their  structure.  I have seen so many of them that click in their pasterns.   

DCC_Cattle

We've had 2 Dakota Gold's. The one we sold last year had a pretty horrible temperament in the beginning but ended up pretty calm after a lot of work. He finished as 4th Overall Market Steer at a very tough county fair. The one we sold this year had an awesome temperament from the start. I will compliment both with being some of the soundest cattle we've ever raised. They do seem bigger shouldered as calves, but seem to grow into that as they get older. We have 3 cows bred to him for next year!

Attachments

• clown 1.jpg
    clown 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 227