Darkhorse vs. Style

Help Support Steer Planet:

nmcattle

Any comments or suggestions on these two young Angus sires. I'm sampling both but would appreciate suggestions on what type of cow each would work best on. Any opinions on which bull is better? Calving reports on Darkhorse? Thanks.

Cattledog

I'm using some Style this year.  I generally stay away from young sires but Style is out of one of the most consistent flushes I've ever seen!  With style I think you will see more volume than Darkhorse.  Raven(Darkhorses sire) has always thrown calves that are pretty cut up in the flank.  I think the hair qualit will be about the same as well as overall thickness.  I've only seen the video of Darkhorse and I've seen Style in person.  I was really impressed with Style!

If I were using these two sires I would breed style to cows(possibly heifers) in need of rib shape and depth of flank.  I'm also breeding him to my longer patterned females.  As far as thickness goes, I'm not sure how much he'll add but I don't think he'll really take any muscle away.

As far as Darkhorse goes I would make sure that you have enough volume in your cows.  May not hurt to have a little length on the cows as well.

JWW

i also saw Style at Denver this year and was impressed with him. i bought 20 units on him, can't remember how much i got in this year but did quite a bit. He was used on a variety of Simmental and simmangus females. I did gamble a little bit and bred 3-4 heifers to him ( he is 2.4 BW EPD and unproven plus Hot Rob is not know for low BW), but time will tell.

Style was bred to some larger framed stout simmys and some more moderate simmangus cattle too. i am hoping he will moderate the big ones and balance out the course ones but time will tell i guess.

JWW

Feed Guy

I have one Darkhorse calf this, only one I used, he is a nice calf just not what I expected.  He is a little taller, could maybe use a shot more body, I thought Darkhorse would moderate them a little more as he was not a big bull in Denver last year.

Torch

I think when it is all said and done that Darkhorse will work best on a certain type of female. Don't know what that type is but it certainly not to moderate frame 7 soggy females. He will not be a breed changing type of bull. I do think he has his place though.