Dehorning in central Texas

Help Support Steer Planet:

JCFAMILY

Does anyone no of one that does a good job in the central Texas area?

fed_champions

Christian Schroeder in Taylor does a real good job with cosmetic dehorning. Dr warner in Elgin does a good job as well, a little pricy though

CAB

It won't help with this calf, but for 20 years now, I have been using dehorning paste and saving the the cost of dehorning and the stress to the calves. When you ear tag your calves feel for their horn buttons, if they have horns, cut down the hair as best you can with a scissors or clippers, apply the dehorning paste per directions and it's over with. They will look smooth polled.

chambero

All of the people mentioned are good.  I've either used most of them at some point in the past or have good friends who have.  Cosmetic dehorning is my single biggest "hate it" procedure on show cattle.  Thank goodness its been a long time since I've had one go badly, but in the 20 some odd years I've fooled with show steers I've either had or been around a large handful of steers that were essentially ruined or made "mean" because of infections from the process.  Every single time I take one to get cosmetically dehorned I still worry about them till they get well.

Cost should never be a consideration in who you pick for this procedure.  One note - most vets can do the procedure just fine - but many refuse to actually shape the head (i.e. remove some bone).  If your calf has an ugly head, you'll want to ask about that when deciding who to take them to.

CJC

chambero said:
All of the people mentioned are good.  I've either used most of them at some point in the past or have good friends who have.  Cosmetic dehorning is my single biggest "hate it" procedure on show cattle.  Thank goodness its been a long time since I've had one go badly, but in the 20 some odd years I've fooled with show steers I've either had or been around a large handful of steers that were essentially ruined or made "mean" because of infections from the process.  Every single time I take one to get cosmetically dehorned I still worry about them till they get well.

Cost should never be a consideration in who you pick for this procedure.  One note - most vets can do the procedure just fine - but many refuse to actually shape the head (i.e. remove some bone).   If your calf has an ugly head, you'll want to ask about that when deciding who to take them to.

Washington Animal Clinic in Brenham will shape up their head. I've used them quite a bit and had good luck.