Designated Hitter

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

i find my self going through a lot of different pictures before i post something on here. often your gonna get horrible pics vs good ones. i'll show you an example...

pic one

vs.

pic 2

Attachments

• steer 015.jpg
    steer 015.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 451
  • steer 010.jpg
    steer 010.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 451

kfacres

I don't know what kind of cows you are running, I am going to guess, clubbyier ones.. I would stay away from using this guy on D'stuffs, and Visions'' not just becuase he has it in him, but I don't know how well he would work on em.  Think he would continue to make, straight coarse ones.. 

On the other hand, If you have a bunch of bigger, narrower, harder made, "typical" shorthorns in most people's eyes... use him on everything..

One thing, after looking at his pedigree, you aren't going to have alot a variety in terms of cows that you can use him on, I mean he has trump and stuff, pretty close.. Watch what kind of cows you use him on, as long as their partial outcross should get away decent... 

Also, I'd get him blood tested ASAP.. I guess the dam could be clean, but with stuff (and everyone else) right there, good chance she ain't... 

In closing, It would be interesting to see this bull as he matures-- bulls either get better structured, or the fall apart once on cows...and once those calves come...  That is the true test of a herd sire...

good luck with your calf.

afhm

dhs said:
He is by a bull called Sondown (Sonny x Double Down's full sib) and his dam is a JBS Frosty (Steermaker x JBS Puma II) back on Deerpark Leader 13th. Not very well known blood-lines up front, but goes back to some good ones.
Those  have been some of the most sought after genetics in the recent past.  He has some oldies but goldies up close in his pedigree.  If you are into raising shorthorn steers he is bred right for that and looks like he woudl do an excellent job of it as well as good producing females.  The Double Stuff and Steermaker will help add thickness to the Sonny side of the pedigree for

red

I don't believe we have any cliches here that only compliment each other's cattle. If you notice people that have only posted for the first time get the same treatment as others. A picture is worth a thousand words. I posted a picture earlier on a calf, terrible picture. Came back w/ a better one that showed her off.
Since there are many different breeders who look for different types of cattle you'll find many different opinions. I thought you got about an equal positive/negative reaction.

Red

dhs

kfacres,
I am alittle confused why you seem so sure that his dam is not clean, am I missing something? I don't see any dirty bloodlines in her. Please explain! 

Doc

dhs said:
kfacres,
I am alittle confused why you seem so sure that his dam is not clean, am I missing something? I don't see any dirty bloodlines in her. Please explain! 

If the sire has TH/PHA tested clean then, the only thing you might have to worry about is PHA on the Maine bull Destiny in his dams' ped. Don't know if that is clean genetics or not.