dethroning the king

Help Support Steer Planet:

doublestuff

It was mentioned in a previous post that not many of todays clubby sires have been able to produce a (replacement) for themselves therefore making the use of clones more demanding. I mentioned as a side note that it is my belief that in time Monopoly will be infact THE HW SON that will take his place and infact be better than his sire. Only time will tell but this is my belief. Any thoughts or comments on the topic???

herefordfootball

I've seen some pretty impressive Monopoly's. I think he could sire some great ones, as he already has, but it's going to be hard to top a bull that sired National, State, and County level champions for the last 8 years? I'm not sure I'd have to look, I dont know when Heat Wave had his first National or State champ, but he's set the bar pretty high.

bart22

I would agree. There will be something better than HW come along. It has always happened in the past even with bulls that were cloned. Look at Who made Who and Full Flush both were cloned and probably the best bulls of their time, but now have faded to clubby semi maternal sires. Before them Sugar Ray and Full Throttle.   

Ric

I think of recent bulls Monopoly has the best chance to dethrone him. For being pretty new yet he has done very well!

Dusty

There has been two calf crops from monopoly now, but his calves have yet to show as fat steers.  If he can snag a state fair or two this summer I will be a bigger believer that he can be HW's replacement.  I really like the calves that I've seen so far from him, but I think we need to wait until after the state fairs and the major shows this fall until we can call him the next great one.  I hope he can get it done.

Show Dad

I'm not a clubby guy but if I may:  It is the law of supply & demand which is driven by the law of averages.

For example: there are so many HW offspring being shown that they are bound to win a lot of shows. (that's not to say that his genetics aren't tops). if you take 100 hundred HW steers and out of that there are 10 grand champions, he would have a 10% winning average. But let's say another bull (bull Z) has 30 steers and 5 of them are grand champions, he would have  16.67% winning average. But perception is that HW steers win more. More in number yes, but what if bull Z was used 100 times?

JMHO

herefordfootball

SD said:
I'm not a clubby guy but if I may:  It is the law of supply & demand which is driven by the law of averages.

For example: there are so many HW offspring being shown that they are bound to win a lot of shows. (that's not to say that his genetics aren't tops). if you take 100 hundred HW steers and out of that there are 10 grand champions, he would have a 10% winning average. But let's say another bull (bull Z) has 30 steers and 5 of them are grand champions, he would have  16.67% winning average. But perception is that HW steers win more. More in number yes, but what if bull Z was used 100 times?

JMHO

I agree. I think heat wave was probaly used more as a young sire, than most or any bulls out there. You're bound to hit a homerun if you swing enough times. But he sires some darn good calves!!!

jackpotcattle

I agree that to dethrone the king it will take a complete outcross. So the question is, Who is going to take a chance and try to get the outcross?
The problem we have here is that even if we raised the next great one he would more than likely end up getting cut...we dont keep bulls.

shortyjock89

I'm working on it. I think our bull is gonna make some darn nice calves, and he's pretty outcross.

Diamond

or when there is a change in style of cattle. Lets say in so many years there gets to be more and more of the 'look' cattle making the prices start to drop, I mean whos going to pay 10k for a steer when they have one that popped out. Then again if farms keep being built up as fast as they are, all beef cattle are going to be the size of mini horses.  ::)

yuppiecowboy

You bring up a good point Diamond. I think we would have to have a complete paradigm shift in "type" desired for there to be an opening for an absolute outcross. And it would have to be drastic, like the frame explosion we chased when the continentals showed up. "clubby" bred cattle are so tightly related as it stands that it is almost impossible to get "outcross" genetics. Somebody mentioned My Turn, Point Taken, and Monopoly as possibly being the next big thing. Great bulls, all of them, but they attend the same family reunion in the summer. Two HS and a HS grandson. HS was close to being outcross as Total Play died before he could dillute the gene pool, but you go page by page on the bulls promoted and I can just about guarantee you will find Cunia, Power Plant, and Sugar Ray somewhere in there with a little 734 for seasoning. Pretty small gene pool.

olsun

This will just be 2 cents worth from a man of little importance, but I believe that the trend change mentioned earlier in this thread will be soundness. The judges at the local fairs that I have watched recently have been very critical of unsound cattle. It is my hope that the next great one will be a bull of very sound structure that may even just come close to providing the body type and mass of HW. This great one that we are all looking for might even be a Simmy, Hereford or a Charolais, due to the fact that as a whole they are sounder breeds. By the way, I don't raise any of those three. I hope that this post stirs up a little controversy, and you all can call me an idiot if you want to, it may be true. JMO