Diamond Prophecy 21P

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

sue said:
Okotoks said:
Here is a heifer calf by Diamond Prophecy 21P born March 20, BW 82lbs. She is out of Diamond Regal Legend 4R’s full sister. Not the best picture and she is definitely photographed in the rough. She is from our Diamond May family and this family traces all the way back to Amos Cruickshank’s herd in Scotland to a cow born in 1843 named Clipper. The Clippers were a famous Scotch Shorthorn family and they were imported to Canada, then to the US and then back to Canada in the late1940’s. The Diamond Dottie cow family goes back to the same Clipper cow and they are now in the US again. Next month we are flushing a Dottie cow for a herd in Scotland so they will have gone full circle.
Yes I remember doing that search. So what has happened to the Butterflys, I found the nonpareils?
nice hfr
The lineage of the Butterflys? Well the great grand dam of 3G actually was imported into canada from Cates.C F BUTTERFLY D T 81  was a Green Ridge Dartanyan B36 cow.Her dam was by Tea for the Tillerman and the next dam was Waukaru Butterfly 692 by Weston Surprise 11th. She was out of Nelco Butterfly 4th. Carries back to MID KOTA BUTTERFLY 2ND out of 3004485 (no name listed.) Every generation is a Butterfly. Now I have to dig out some old American herd books for the rest of the story. In the US you have crosses of Kenmar and Lynnwood.

Hilltop

Okotoks said:
Hilltop said:
If I were you I would breed every heifer you have to him. That heifer calf looks good!
If interested we have a bull we could trade you for him!! (lol)
Star P Matrix!!  ;D
No I was actually thinking of a bull named Urban Legend. You maybe know of him? ;)

Okotoks

Hilltop said:
Okotoks said:
Hilltop said:
If I were you I would breed every heifer you have to him. That heifer calf looks good!
If interested we have a bull we could trade you for him!! (lol)
Star P Matrix!!  ;D
No I was actually thinking of a bull named Urban Legend. You maybe know of him? ;)
The name does sound familar for some reason.  :) That might be a lot of linebreeding even for me!
Any other suggestions?

knabe

Okotoks said:
The name does sound familar for some reason.  :) That might be a lot of linebreeding even for me!
Any other suggestions?

every calf has 50% of each parent.  what percentage above that is worrisome?

Okotoks

knabe said:
Okotoks said:
Any other suggestions?

every calf has 50% of each parent.  what percentage above that is worrisome?
I linebreed a lot and the worrisome part is actually when your customers love the calf until they see the same bull 3 to 5 times in the pedigree and start looking at another calf. I also like to keep trying new bloodlines.

Okotoks

sue said:
Okotoks said:
sue said:
love him. thanks for posting a really good sh bull.

What do you think he weighs, is he a 5 yr old?

Glad you like him. He is a six year old. Probably weighs about 2250 to 2300 as he is pretty deep and wide but not a big frame.(need to measure him but probably a 6)
Can you post a pic of Northern Legend's dam ---- Butterfly 3G??  The white female. She is awesome, I saw a pic of her once and loved her, her grandson is doing a great job at Kohlstaedts. I am going to assume she is dead now??
Hi Sue
Well we can finally post a copy of Elite  Butterfly 3G's photo as Jaimie was able to get it from our 2006 catalogue. No Idea where the original is?

Attachments

• Elite Butterfly 3G.jpg
    Elite Butterfly 3G.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 392

garybob

sue said:
Okotoks said:
Here is a heifer calf by Diamond Prophecy 21P born March 20, BW 82lbs. She is out of Diamond Regal Legend 4R’s full sister. Not the best picture and she is definitely photographed in the rough. She is from our Diamond May family and this family traces all the way back to Amos Cruickshank’s herd in Scotland to a cow born in 1843 named Clipper. The Clippers were a famous Scotch Shorthorn family and they were imported to Canada, then to the US and then back to Canada in the late1940’s. The Diamond Dottie cow family goes back to the same Clipper cow and they are now in the US again. Next month we are flushing a Dottie cow for a herd in Scotland so they will have gone full circle.
Yes I remember doing that search. So what has happened to the Butterflys, I found the nonpareils?
nice hfr
You know, that brings up another item that bugs me about the present status of Shorthorns in the United States. I hope i don't offend anyone. Russell Sloan, when he died, had a herd of about 75 cows. All those cows had the name of their ancestral Cow Family on thier pedigree, not a pet-name, or a "barn Name". As you could imagine, the herd was dispersed among various buyers, all but one of whom, bred them all to show sires, for the next 3 generations. Every birth of heifer calves resulted in each of those female offspring having a different name ( the smaller the "breeder", the worse it is). No more Butterfly's, Foxgloves, Joy Maids, Claras,etc. Russell could tell you where each of the original cow lines started from. Joy Maids came from Baughman's, etc. Nowadays, it's Buffy, Scruffy, Snuffy, Tuffy, Puffy, etc.
I don't know for sure, but one of my goals is to come back into active status as a breeder of Shorthorn cattle. During the past 9 years, I have sat on the sidelines and watched things "progress" within the breed through both print ( magazines and sale catalogs) and interactive media (internet). Please, guys, stop ruining the cow families. I can't, and won't go to a sale and buy something if I look at a 2-generation "pedigree" and see inconsistency.

Heritage means something. Like begets like. C'mon, Y'all, look at what Y'uns are doing.
Please???

GB

OH Breeder

garybob said:
sue said:
Okotoks said:
nice hfr
You know, that brings up another item that bugs me about the present status of Shorthorns in the United States. I hope i don't offend anyone. Russell Sloan, when he died, had a herd of about 75 cows. All those cows had the name of their ancestral Cow Family on thier pedigree, not a pet-name, or a "barn Name". As you could imagine, the herd was dispersed among various buyers, all but one of whom, bred them all to show sires, for the next 3 generations. Every birth of heifer calves resulted in each of those female offspring having a different name ( the smaller the "breeder", the worse it is). No more Butterfly's, Foxgloves, Joy Maids, Claras,etc. Russell could tell you where each of the original cow lines started from. Joy Maids came from Baughman's, etc. Nowadays, it's Buffy, Scruffy, Snuffy, Tuffy, Puffy, etc.
I don't know for sure, but one of my goals is to come back into active status as a breeder of Shorthorn cattle. During the past 9 years, I have sat on the sidelines and watched things "progress" within the breed through both print ( magazines and sale catalogs) and interactive media (internet). Please, guys, stop ruining the cow families. I can't, and won't go to a sale and buy something if I look at a 2-generation "pedigree" and see inconsistency.

Heritage means something. Like begets like. C'mon, Y'all, look at what Y'uns are doing.
Please???

GB

I take time when registering calves to try and included names from both sides of the pedigree. If the kids want to call one Puffy in the barn that is fine but we register according to bloodlines. I like being able to keep track of cow families too.

garybob

OH Breeder said:
garybob said:
sue said:
Okotoks said:
nice hfr

Please???

GB

I take time when registering calves to try and included names from both sides of the pedigree. If the kids want to call one Puffy in the barn that is fine but we register according to bloodlines. I like being able to keep track of cow families too.
OH-B, you are a rarity. Most people don't even do it the way you do it, anymore. It's sad, to me anyways, that people disregard the diligent work of the generations of breeders before us have done.

GB

Okotoks

garybob said:
sue said:
Okotoks said:
nice hfr

Please???

GB
I agree. I'm a big believer in family names. I think the stand out cows pass along the abililty to produce great ones. If nothing else it sure makes it easier to follow and remember a pedigree. We always try to follow the family names. Sometimes they are so far back it's hard to determine and we follow the name of the cow we bought. In the case of the Dotties there was few generations before they went back to the Clipper family.I wish in retrospect we had just gone back to the Clipper name. We actually have a couple of Clipper cows that go back to a cow we got from Sandy Cross that trace with the Clipper name right back to Scotland 167 years! The Dotties and these Clippers trace to two half sisters.

garybob

Actually, aj, I am currently known as "Stuffy". Early Fall means ragweed pollen, here in the Ozarks. Glad the patent has expired on Zyrtec, and WalMart sells a generic under their Equate brand.

GB

Okotoks

OH Breeder said:
garybob said:
sue said:
Okotoks said:
nice hfr

Please???

GB

I think including the family name can also add value if the animal is a good one and comes from a reputaion line. If you look at someone like Sneed's the "Girl " line show up all through the pedigrees of the herdsires now being used. There are endless examples but when you see Picture Perfect, Margie etc. in a pedigree you take another look. I agree with GB, heritage does mean something and pedigrees have a purpose.

Okotoks

Diamond Prophecy 21P is in the AI stud and semen is now available for Canada and should be available for the US in about 10 days.

kiblercattle

I would like to bring this topic back. I was wondering if anybody plans on using him now that he is a available through cattle visions. I know there are lots of progeny pictures already on here , but I was hoping to see some new ones: older sons, milking daughters...

Okotoks

kiblercattle said:
I would like to bring this topic back. I was wondering if anybody plans on using him now that he is a available through cattle visions. I know there are lots of progeny pictures already on here , but I was hoping to see some new ones: older sons, milking daughters...
We are still using Prophecy 21P naturally at 8 years of age.
Here are his $ EPD #'s
$CEZ/% +37.60/10     $F/%   +24.59/25       $BMI/% + 27.51/20
Photos below
1. A bull calf out of a six year old daughter, he is by Diamond Winalot 37W.
2. Diamond Xena Susan 21X an April 5 2010 21P daughter with her Mar 14 2012 Alta Cedar Timeless 36X heifer calf born unassisted with 70 lb. BW.
3. Diamond Xotic Candy 25X an April 11 2010 21P daughter with her Mar. 16 2012 Alta Cedar Timeless 36X heifer calf born unassisted with 84 lb. BW.
4 and 5 Diamond Xtra Candy 36X an April 27 2010 21P daughter with her Mar. 11 2012 Alta Cedar Timeless 36X bull calf born unassisted with 72 lb. BW.
We are really pleased with his daughters udders and calving ease. They are raising some pretty good calves.

Attachments

• Diamond Prophecy 21P grandson 22Z.jpg
    Diamond Prophecy 21P grandson 22Z.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 359
  • rsz_21x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    rsz_21x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 923
  • rsz_25x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    rsz_25x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 326
  • rsz_36x_and_10z.jpg
    rsz_36x_and_10z.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 382
  • rsz_36x.jpg
    rsz_36x.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 350

jaimiediamond

Some other pictures of the Prophecy offspring.  I am thrilled with my Prophecy daughters in production and am retaining all of my yearling heifers for my cow herd.  My heifers have awesome udders and have maintained flesh while raising excellent calves.

First picture is of the dam of the bull calf pictured above.  She is pictured 5 years of age

Second picture is a yearling daughter of Prophecy born April 19 2011

Third Picture is a yearling daughter of Prophecy born April 12 2011. 

Fourth Picture is a yearling daughter of Prophecy born March 31 2011

Fifth Picture is the yearling bull we retained to use on heifers.  Yardstick was born March 26 2011 and is pictured at the end of his first breeding season

Attachments

• Diamond Yardstick 29Y.jpg
    Diamond Yardstick 29Y.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 40y.jpg
    40y.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 322
  • 47y.jpg
    47y.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 311
  • DIAMOND DOTTIE 49Y.jpg
    DIAMOND DOTTIE 49Y.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 18t.jpg
    18t.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 298

jaimiediamond

An example of one of my 2 year old heifers, she is also posted with her heifer calf in an above post by Okotoks, I will repost the picture with her daughter
Diamond Xotic Candy 25X

Attachments

• DIAMOND XOTIC CANDY 25X.jpg
    DIAMOND XOTIC CANDY 25X.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 465
  • DIAMOND XOTIC CANDY 25X udder.jpg
    DIAMOND XOTIC CANDY 25X udder.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 306
  • rsz_25x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    rsz_25x_and_heifer_calf.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 314

Latest posts