Direct Deposit's PHA status

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

So, what's up with this?  I know there was a son that tested positive, but we assumed it came from the maternal side. Could it be be that big chunk of a cow, 224X was a carrier? Information sure moves at a snail's pace sometimes.

red

I thought Jerry Cramer said she wasn't I'll have to search for that one.

I'm surprised they haven't gotten results on her. No blood?

Red

red

here's what Jerry said a while back.

I've been following the discussion about 224X, ZTA Miss Black Duffy 251X etc.
As one of the former owners of Polleroid and 224X along with 10 other ZTA cows all by Midas, I might shed a little light on the subject of PHA . Strictly looking at numbers. 224X was flushed to Draftpick, Blackdice, Polleroid, Cunia, Revive(Polleroid son)  with somewhere around 50 calves here. Never had any TH or PHA calves out of any breeding. ZTA Black Ruby 312Y a full sister to 224X was also flushed many times to Draftpick with no abnormalities. ZTA Miss Black Duffy 256X (MidasX Magnum44) was flushed to Draftpick with 6 calves born with no TH or PHA. ZTA Black Lucy 594A (Midasx Magnum44) was also flushed to Power Plant and Fear This with no problems. POlleroid was flushed to several of the ZTA cows but never had any PHA or TH calves.  Of course, all of this doesn't prove anything but it would be a great surprise if 224X  or Polleroid were either a carrier.

DL

xxcc said:
has it been determined?  or is it just assumed he's a carrier?

gee xxcc why do you ask? he was bred by nice people and owned by nice people and is a nice bull so.....maybe it is another pending test...how long does it take you to get your test results??
ps I might be mistaken but I believe Polleroid tested PHAF

Telos

According to a discussion here on SP, Pollaroid did test negative. Some of us were even placing bets on his status. Will check AMAA site for clean sires to see if he is listed.

Telos

Nothing is listed (carrier or free) with regards to DMCC Pollaroid or Oakridge Direct Deposit...Although Direct Deposit's full sister, Oakridge Ms. Black Ruby is listed as PHAF.

Show Heifer

It took me longer to read jerrys "follow the genetic tree" paragraph than it would have taken to draw blood, and send it in. That way, us buyers wouldn't HAVE to know/follow the genetic pathway or ASSUME anything.
I know of farms that have bred dirty lines of cattle for YEARS and "have never had a TH or PHA calf".......REALLY? ???

xxcc

i was just kinda curious, because i thought by assumption, we decided that golden image most likely was a carrier.

in regard to breeders that have bred carrier lines for years and have 'never had one of those calves,"  they either may have had pregnancies that terminated prior to delivery or they should go to vegas or rio.

DL

xxcc said:
i was just kinda curious, because i thought by assumption, we decided that golden image most likely was a carrier.

in regard to breeders that have bred carrier lines for years and have 'never had one of those calves,"  they either may have had pregnancies that terminated prior to delivery or they should go to vegas or rio.

or perhaps a sin of omission??

Telos

xxcc said:

Looking at Roots' pedigree, it seems to be one of the great mysteries to solve. Especially if Golden image is free. I still want to see a Dalton(PHAC) derivative that is a carrier. No one has yet been able to show me one. So far Midas and PC Metric and probably a number of others have been tested free.

Telos

Did some homework. The bottom of Roots' maternal pedigree is a cow named Miss Duffy 6th without an extended pedigree. Looked at the AMAA listings...There is a Miss Duffy 5th and a Miss Duffy 7th listed and both are direct Paramount daughters. It seems very logical that the Miss Duffy 5th could very well have been a Paramount daughter. Check it out.

aj

Telos...who is roots? Also what is the status of Polled Premier? I was thinking people thought polled premier was clean.

Telos

AJ, we are referring to RSCC Roots and Polled Premier probably was not tested. His dam is a cow called Fancy Dancer (forgot the perfix) and is also the mother of DMCC Limited Edition.

knabe

she's the result of one of my dream crosses, though i can't take any credit for figuring it out.

DL

Telos said:
AJ, we are referring to RSCC Roots and Polled Premier probably was not tested. His dam is a cow called Fancy Dancer (forgot the perfix) and is also the mother of DMCC Limited Edition.

telos - Dazzlers Fancy Dancer owned by Diamond M, traced to Dalton....hmmm
don't know why these critters weren't tested - DNA is available...
knabe - she sure is a super cow phenotypically

knabe

Telos said:
Did some homework. The bottom of Roots' maternal pedigree is a cow named Miss Duffy 6th without an extended pedigree. Looked at the AMAA listings...There is a Miss Duffy 5th and a Miss Duffy 7th listed and both are direct Paramount daughters. It seems very logical that the Miss Duffy 5th could very well have been a Paramount daughter. Check it out.

good hunting telos, that was awesome.

what are some comments on limited edition other than he's a closed bull and how he compared wiht polled premier.

xxcc

knabe said:
what are some comments on limited edition other than he's a closed bull and how he compared wiht polled premier.

don't know how he compare with polled premier, but i did have a ltd. edn. cow that wouldn't milk enough to fill a thimble which was bizzare, her mother was iabon bred which is the complete other end of the spectrum.  my recommendations...steer clear...unless you're only after steers that is.

aj

I used a bull called vma Eizenhower. He was a polled premier son. He threw bwt's and his daughters had big calves. His daughters had great udders and milked good. I think eizenhower was clean of defects cause i'm breeding some half sibs to quarter and half sibs and no problemo. Also nothing shows up on pha on granddaughters tests.

Telos

aj said:
I used a bull called vma Eizenhower. He was a polled premier son. He threw bwt's and his daughters had big calves. His daughters had great udders and milked good. I think eizenhower was clean of defects cause i'm breeding some half sibs to quarter and half sibs and no problemo. Also nothing shows up on pha on granddaughters tests.

Hey AJ... Did Eizenhower throw a deeper then average type of calf? He has an interesting pedigree being linebred Univers and Turquino. Does not have hardly any Cunia influence and probably had plenty of frame. According to Mueller,  Fancy Dancer was a very good milking cow and was considered his or one of his best cows.