Direct Hit Females

Help Support Steer Planet:

willie

What type of mothers do Direct Hit females make?
Any suggestions on what bulls would work on them for clubby calves?

willie

OH Breeder

We have a Direct Hit out of a Simmi cow that is phenominal as a mother. She settles first stick AI, calves unassisted and but milks average. She is excellant as a mother though. She was the first heifer I ever saw that lifted her leg to put the calf in position to nurse. We love her. We bred her Gizmo the first go around and she had an absolute tank. Her second calf was Diamond Leggs and we are waiting in the next few days either Amazon (simmi) or Ace of Diamonds calf.

jbh

The Direct Hits as females have made extremely productive, fertile breeding pieces.  His mother was a really good PB Maine cow that went back to midas, explosion, dollar 2 and I can't remember what ALL ELSE! 

Direct Hit always worked extremely well on Simmental influenced cows.....SO.....adding their mothering ability only strengthened the equation.  Direct Hit sired many, many big time winners and probably still works better than MOST Heat Seeker influenced sires......he died and I just kinda quit promoting him....probably a bit PREMATURE!  Don't get me wrong....they weren't ALL GREAT ONES.....but he did have his own FAIR SHARE of winners!

jbh

jbw said:
Soooo. What works on them?

First, you'd have to sort them by their frame size and carrier status......and go from there.  The real little ones Id probably try Get It Done on......those females are starting to make a mark in the showring and he works awesome on Heat Seeker influenced lines.

I'm sure  there's already been several different bulls used on them.....I just gotta think....he was on display in Denver with Fired Up , I believe 1999.