Dirty hairy 2

Help Support Steer Planet:

Jc cattle

I have a dh2 heifer out of a golden child cow. It was her 1st calf. She is pretty  cool but kinda small

mick rems

i wouldnt use him on hardcores or other cows that already have big bone and a big foot. he's NOT meant to be calving ease on first calf heifers. he IS meant to be calving ease on 2nd or after calf cows. same goes for dh. his full brother.

we screwed up on breeding my hardcore heifer to him. we had issues. the calf, which was a bull prolly had 3 inch diameter feet they were pretty big. the cow to begin with has as big of bone as some of the clubby bulls. calf got hip locked. we couldnt even get him out with the jack. we ended up using a winch. got the calf out somehow alive. called the float tank for the cow cus she ended pinching off a nerve and couldnt get up. put her in the skid steer bucket to get her in the barn cus it was pretty muddy in the pasture. she prolapsed as we got her in the barn. got that taken care of. calf died about a week later with pnemonia. he would have been sweet stuff. NOTE: calf was 10 days early.
on the plus we got her home. she bred back on first try and stuck with a heifer calf. we played it safe and used smokin joe on her for that one. no issues.

i'm glad to hear that the golden child heifer has nice heifer calf out of dh2.

of what i've seen of dh or dh2 the calves and full growns are definitely nice. 2 yrs ago both the grand champion and reserve champion steers at our county fair were dh's from gefferts sale. mine was reserve out of the panda donor cow. he had 2 other et brothers in that sale that also sold well. last yr i had a dh on a irish whiskey cow market heifer. she was reserve market heifer. if she wasnt a freemartin twin she would have been a breeding heifer.

dh has been known to throw em thick. hairy. big boned. and pretty sound. the only thing on steers u gotta watch is they tend to cut up a bit more in the flank than a lot of other clubby bulls do. but they do drop flank when they are finished. heifers are pretty much all around nice.

obviously with any bull they gotta still be bred right. and they sometimes do get big. my steer was 1365 at county. and the grand was 1285, he was registered appendix shorty.

mick rems

again. do ur research. lautner farms and matt lautner almost always have what the bulls will throw, and what to use them on. he's not gonna work on ur hannibal. u might have soundness problems with ur hw.

mick rems

Carlson Cattle said:
how do u get a hold of matt or phil lautner?

they've got it in there bull catalogs, on their websites, and they have the catalogs as a virtual version online also. RESEARCH!!!!!

Jc cattle

The heifer we had was 50# max, she was tiny.  She has a ton of hair and hasn't been in a cooler

AsburyCC

I wouldn't use him on first calf heifers (dh2 that is). Bred him to a good Angus cross heifer last year, and calf came at about 85 pounds of course we had to pull it but we got lucky and the pull was easy. Calf is nice can't complain he didn't throw the bone and hair to the calf that I was hoping, but I would definitely be using him again. Just on different type of cow

CRS

We have two DH2 calves that were born May of 2011.  We like them both and they keep getting better with age.  Both are out of Full Flush cows, which makes them a little flanky, but good sound cattle.  Both calves were around 70 to 75 lbs.  I am going to try and post pictures of the heifer a May 1st and the steer a May 30th

Attachments

• dh2fullflush.jpg
    dh2fullflush.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 312
  • dh2steer.jpg
    dh2steer.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 313

Latest posts