Does Color Matter?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

For next years show season I was thinking of choosing a black breed steer to show. However, what if I find a nice cross steer with good quality that is not black. He would stick out more to a judge.... but would a judge more likely choose a black steer over a colored steer? Why do often black steers win a lot of Grands and Reserves? Are they just better quality or do they have more eye appeal than say a shorthorn or charolais. Found it interesting that Charolais won our Grand and Res at my county fair this year. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts on this subject? Had trouble finding it on the search engine.

jd438

I think this has been discussed some before.  There just happens to be more black cattle and thus increasing the odds that one may win a show.  There are also advantages in hiding flaws on black cattle with a good fit job and hair.  It depends on what your goals are.  Do you want to win a breed, the show?  In my opinion your best odds at grand champion steer lie in a crossbred steer, quality before color.

ChristaCheatham

Ok ya that makes sense. So I should just look for the best quality calf that I can for my budget.

leanbeef

jd438 said:
I think this has been discussed some before.  There just happens to be more black cattle and thus increasing the odds that one may win a show.  There are also advantages in hiding flaws on black cattle with a good fit job and hair.  It depends on what your goals are.  Do you want to win a breed, the show?  In my opinion your best odds at grand champion steer lie in a crossbred steer, quality before color.

Exactly...what he said. Choose the best calf you can find for the money, and don't be guilty of being color blind, either in favor of or against any particular color or breed. I agree that a crossbred calf would be the right direction as opposed to any purebred steer. And you're right...a colored calf stands out & is tough to lose in the ring if you're judging, but that can work against you if the calf isn't really good, too. A really good calf doesn't get lost regardless of what color he is. When you're judging a show and a good one walks in, you always take notice & no judge should lose him.

Gargan

Ohio state fair grand champ was an yellowish looking calf, and that is 1 of the toughest state fair shows in the country.

ChristaCheatham

Yes and especially after my county fair this year.. I'm starting to believe in the "color" factor lol. In the cross division there was one class where it took the judge forever to decide. With that being hard to decide I thought the winner of the crossbred breed would come out of that class. But the judge chose a white cross steer to win Champ Cross and Res. Some of the black steers were nice in my opinion. One was bought from Guyer I believe and was just a chunk. I could not figure out how he didn't even win his class?

ChristaCheatham

No I have not aske this question before. I was just thinking about how the quality of the calf should excel the color factor and wanted to know other's opinions.

Cattle Cards

It used to be they had to be black.  Now you see yellow, red, or black with chrome.  Since I don't know where you're from, is it a slick or haired show? That makes a huge difference.  If you show slick, they need to be colored or even patterned steers (like in Texas).  Now that I've said all of that, I agree with the others to pick the best steer you can get for your budget.  Best of luck!
<cowboy>

ChristaCheatham

Cattle Cards said:
It used to be they had to be black.  Now you see yellow, red, or black with chrome.  Since I don't know where you're from, is it a slick or haired show? That makes a huge difference.  If you show slick, they need to be colored or even patterned steers (like in Texas).  Now that I've said all of that, I agree with the others to pick the best steer you can get for your budget.  Best of luck!
<cowboy>
Yes it is a hair show. I live in the midwest.