Domination

Help Support Steer Planet:

husker1

Would like to hear people's opinions of the Domination (Simmental) calves that they've seen this fall?

Simmgal

Bump this! I would also like to know. I have some semen I would like to use in a few months, but I would like to see some calves!  <rock>

CAB

Is this the bull that you are asking about?  http://www.cattlevisions.com/Simmental/HarkersJS%20Domination.php

If so, his first calf crop hit the ground last spring & my guess is due to the price on a first year bull, he didn't he more than likely did not get  much use. Best bet would be to call Jay @ Nichols Cryo & see what he has out of him. If you live close to Ankeny, Ia. stop in and visit. Jay's cattle aren't very far from there really. Great person to talk cattle with IMO.

firesweepranch

I think he was used a bunch. I have seen some Domination calves in just about every sale. Just near my grasp, in the North Central Simmental Sale catalog, he has a Jass heifer, lot 5 (Jass Miss Domination 36Y). She was the high seller at $11,000. In the Midwest Made Sale, there were several Domination calves. Here is a link to the flyer with pics of calves and the sale results http://www.edjesales.com/eberspacher/midwest_made/

I know I have seen a lot of his calves in sales this fall. I will be interested to see them in person next year on the show circuit. We have an embryo by him and Tim Burke's donor in March. I am looking forward to it! We did see him in person, and he was young (it was during the Nationals in Iowa), and at the time I did not buy semen on him. He was super deep and soggy but lacked width from behind for me at the time.

firesweepranch

I dug though some of my old files, and here are some pics we took of Domination. Here is a link to a video we took also:

http://youtu.be/KbATcb4SpGw

Attachments

• aug2010 029.jpg
    aug2010 029.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 393
  • aug2010 024.jpg
    aug2010 024.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 385
  • aug2010 030 (1).jpg
    aug2010 030 (1).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 410

husker1

Yes, CAB...that is the bull.

I've seen his offspring in person at a couple sales, but I was curious what others are seeing across the country.

coachmac

Scott,
We have a heifer out of JS stock, inparticular, the trip C burning power donor cow of jays.  He said that that he is working well on that cow family.  We are gonna give him a shot.  Ordering some units tomorrow.  sorry I couldn't help.  Hopefully will see some more myself.  Nice thread! 

AdrienneHilbrands

Scott,
Just got a few on the ground ourselves... but our overall impression mixed in with some others that we've heard around the industry... is that he tends to make them alot like himself... tons of middle and super soft just not the stoutest.  Have heard some say they tended to be a little shorter fronted but we didn't see that problem.  I don't think you'll see him cleaning up any fronts though (again pretty much bred them just like himself)  :).  I think he'll work but you just might need to make sure you have some power on the dams side.... we personally only used him on a few cows though.... and I've only had a chance to see two of the crosses.  Should get to see the third cross on Thursday....

Simmgal

AdrienneHilbrands said:
Scott,
Just got a few on the ground ourselves... but our overall impression mixed in with some others that we've heard around the industry... is that he tends to make them alot like himself... tons of middle and super soft just not the stoutest.  Have heard some say they tended to be a little shorter fronted but we didn't see that problem.  I don't think you'll see him cleaning up any fronts though (again pretty much bred them just like himself)  :).  I think he'll work but you just might need to make sure you have some power on the dams side.... we personally only used him on a few cows though.... and I've only had a chance to see two of the crosses.  Should get to see the third cross on Thursday....
So if I have a decent fronted PB Sim cow who has adequate width, is fairly stout, and needs a shot of depth he would cross well with her? I have been impressed with some I have seen in sale catalogs, but I haven't seen what their dams look like.