Donkey Breaking Harness

Help Support Steer Planet:

Freerider

Does anyone know of a donkey breaking harness that is made? Or have any pictures of one?

My neighbour had a breaking donkey one time, and it wore a harness with a ring on the donkeys shoulder. It seemed to look much more comfortable than a collar, and it must have been safer as well. Too bad he sold the harness with the donkey.

I know there's lots of donkey info on here, but I couldn't find anything about a harness.

Thanks

rtmcc

We just use a wide nylon neck strap like from tie stall dairy cows and cinch it up tight.

vcsf

I used to borrow a friend's donkey at times several years ago.  The harness that they used consisted of a leather neck collar and then a regular saddle cinch with a wide padded leather strap on top fastened around the heartgirth.  The collar and strap-cinch were than connected together by smaller straps on each side and one running between the donkey's legs and up his chest if a remember correctly.  I forget exactly where there was a large D ring fastened to tie the calf to.  This seemed to work quite well and although the donkey was not very big we used him on some coming two year old bulls that were 1800 lbs plus and never had any problems or seemed to bother the donkey at all. 

Freerider

vcsf said:
I used to borrow a friend's donkey at times several years ago.  The harness that they used consisted of a leather neck collar and then a regular saddle cinch with a wide padded leather strap on top fastened around the heartgirth.  The collar and strap-cinch were than connected together by smaller straps on each side and one running between the donkey's legs and up his chest if a remember correctly.  I forget exactly where there was a large D ring fastened to tie the calf to.  This seemed to work quite well and although the donkey was not very big we used him on some coming two year old bulls that were 1800 lbs plus and never had any problems or seemed to bother the donkey at all. 

This is the sort of harness I'm thinking of, they must be a custom thing.  I might be able to come up with something from some horse tack.

MCC

This is just my opinion, but we have broke calves with a burrow since 1976 with a collar. I have not seen the rig you are talking about and it might be a good deal but if you get it to far back I would think you would have to have some kind of breast collar to keep it from pulling to far back. We always tighten the collar right behind the burros head. I think, for what it's worth, you need to keep the calf as close to the burro's head as you can so it's easier for the burro to see what the calf is doing. The best one I ever had was a jack that we put a calf on that kept jumping over the top of the burro from side to side. After about the 4th time the burro waited until the calf was in mid air and wheeled. the calf landed on his side and knocked the wind out of him. Thought it killed him but it didn't. The burro waited for him to get up and then broke him to lead. Short story long I would just use a collar.

kfacres

MCC said:
This is just my opinion, but we have broke calves with a burrow since 1976 with a collar. I have not seen the rig you are talking about and it might be a good deal but if you get it to far back I would think you would have to have some kind of breast collar to keep it from pulling to far back. We always tighten the collar right behind the burros head. I think, for what it's worth, you need to keep the calf as close to the burro's head as you can so it's easier for the burro to see what the calf is doing. The best one I ever had was a jack that we put a calf on that kept jumping over the top of the burro from side to side. After about the 4th time the burro waited until the calf was in mid air and wheeled. the calf landed on his side and knocked the wind out of him. Thought it killed him but it didn't. The burro waited for him to get up and then broke him to lead. Short story long I would just use a collar.
:)))  i'd pay money to see that... if only the donk woulda kicked him in mid air... as I was expecting to read.. (pop)

Freerider

MCC said:

Since '76...ok you win. I already have thick nylon tie collar so I'll give that a try 1st.

I've owned a donkey for 3 days, so what do i know anyways.....

MCC

Since '76...ok you win. I already have thick nylon tie collar so I'll give that a try 1st.

Don't know if that is a compliment or a put down. (lol)
The only thing I'm worried about with all that other tack on the burro is restricting his movement and rubbing sores to where they won't work.

CANsteer

i have seen the harness rig. it goes around the belly of the donkey alean intnd then there is a strap around the chest. i was told these are better because the donk can lean into it without all the pressure on its neck.

Aussie

MCC said:

The only thing I'm worried about with all that other tack on the burro is restricting his movement and rubbing sores to where they won't work.
I think they are saying you Are realllly old MCC  (lol)

Freerider

MCC said:

(lol)...not a put down, if the collar works, it works. She won't be tied to anything very big or crazy, i plan on breaking her in easy, and learning along to way.

CAB

I used to use  a Jenny to break calves & used the neck halter type. Just reading this thread, I like the sound of the body harness described. It will be much better on the Donkey as far as what leverage the calf will be able to have against the donkey and the donkey will gain a much better position to hold it's own and pull the calf. Science, it's a great thing.

bruiser

The one I used was 2 cinches and a breast strap??? The cinches were small and connected by a nylon dog collar on each side .The breast strap hooked to the cinches. It sounds bad but it really worked well.

jackpotcattle

We have used both and prefer the neck collars. The withers on a donkey are pretty much not there and tend to allow the cinch to roll around. Also from our experience just because you have a donkey doesnt mean that they are any good at breaking calves. Once you have a good one it is pretty easy to tell just by the way they handle the calf . Also, I would not use a jack as they tend to be too aggressive and in our experience have hurt the calves.

Latest posts