Donkey Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

willie

What is the best sized Donkey to have for breaking calves, Standard or Miniature? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.
Willie

olsun

Minis are less than 36 inches. Too small. Best ones would be a gelded jack or a jennet from 44 to 50 inches tall. Don't worry too much about age, they usually work good from 2 to 20 years old. Some still in use at 30. Hope this helps.

box6rranch

We borrowed a standard size donkey last year for our steer. I think our steer was too big or the donkey was to docile. The steer was never mean but for the life of us we couldn't get him to walk consistently. We'd work with him for a couple of hours and the next day it was like starting over again. Couldn't wait to get through county fair and be done with him.

beefy

the best we have found are the blm burro's, just get them used to ya and only gentle them enough to work around them and they dont need to be halter broke all the way.  best $50.00 i ever spent      <cowboy>

kobo_ranch

beefy said:
the best we have found are the blm burro's, just get them used to ya and only gentle them enough to work around them and they dont need to be halter broke all the way.  best $50.00 i ever spent      <cowboy>
can you tell me what you mean by blm burros--male or female, and where the best place to find these fellows.  can you tell me exactly how you use them. 

olsun

BLM, Bureau of Land Managment. You can adopt wild horses and burros from them. Just be careful that you get healthy animals from them. Many are loaded with internal parasites, and can die. IMO it is better to buy domestic animals, even though they may cost a little more.