Donors

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

After calving, how soon can a cow be flushed?  I think I was told 60 days.

Then once flushed, she is given prostaglandin to reset the system and be sure no eggs were missed.  After that heat, she needs one more heat and can be started again?  I guess my question is how soon after a flush can the cow be set up again?  We have a couple of cows with nice embryo orders from, but the customers want embryos pronto.

Don't worry, I'll ask my ET vet also, but thought Cowboy or someone else could tell me first.

Bulldaddy

We work ours off the second heat after the flush as recommended by our ET company.  We have always had good luck with their recommendations.

Cowboy

My rule has always been this --

Cow calves with no problems and starts to cycle as she sees fit.

Her second natural heat would be Day -0-if all is well with her tract.

Work her up, and most of them will be flushed around the 75th day or so give or take, all natural with no inducing them to come in early.

I never induce them with Prostoglandins on flush day, I infuse them with Biomycin, and turn em out. This not only will prevent any chance of an infection, but will absolutely kill any embryo that may have been missed -- period!

She will cycle back on her own in 2 weeks, have another heat 3 weeks later or so, and she starts over, giving you a flush sequence of about 60 days. Some cows go a few days over, some a few days less.

This has worked extremely well for almost 30 years folks, there is no need to give them Lut or anything on flush day, in fact, if you do this repeatedly, you will have a higher than normal chance of causing the cow to go cystic on you -- you are just asking her too much -- at least that is how I feel.. Again, this has worked so well for so many years, I have never had any regrets and the cows seem to work very well. Bottom line is the less you do to them, the better off you are!

Best of luck every one!!

Terry

bwg1995

What is the shortest flush to flush interval you can maintain.....60 days....45 days.....30 days?

Cowboy

2 natural heats post flush will yield a 60 day interval.

An induced heat with one single natural heat after will yield a 45 day flush -- you may do this on occasion, but be carefull

A single induced heat and restarted immediately will give you a 30 day flush -- but your cow will be done for VERY quickly -- VERY  !!

Your choice there, but mine will always be 2 natural heats -- I care about the cow first, and I always have!

Terry

BadgerFan

Terry,
this is probably a dumb question, and I think I know the answer, but is there anything in addition to good husbandry practices (BCS, plane of nutrition, vaccination protocol, etc) that you'd suggest as a key to ET success in terms of egg yield?

A friend's ET firm swears by Oxygen as a supplement for donors, and so far he's had success to the level I thought it's worth asking a dumb question on a public chat board.  I've always seen these types of things as un-necessary as long as the cow is well cared for.  What are your thoughts?

BadgerFan

Bulldaddy

We feed our cows chelated trace minerals (particularly copper) year round.  Is costs more but has heiped our conception rates and eliminated retained placentas.  I wonder if it may help increase egg production.  We have good results form our limited ET work but not enough to say for sure.  Any other opinions on the use of chelated minerals vs non-chelated minerals?

Cowboy

Badgerfan -- thisis not rocket science, but it takes a tad more management than - say -- a turn out herd in the mountains!

I always ask that the donors being delivered here are recently vaccinated, well in advance of delivery -- for all the normal things. Plus, I Ivomec them twice a year along with fly control during the summer.

I feed Vita-Ferm Concept-Aid, the regular no salt version if available, or at least the 8-S if not.

Cows are fed twice a day alfalfa being the primary -- and I'll use some grass or cane to fill em up if they are getting too heavy. Most of the cows that come here NEED weight, but I do get a few fatter ones too, the thinner cows that are gaining will be your best producers every single time.

I don't like to start pouring things into them that they would not normally be exposed to in a  herd situation. I have always felt that the more you intervene with reproduction, the less you will get in the end. Meybe I am old school some what, but what has worked well for me for a LONG time, just doesn't seem to need changing. If it works, don't fix it!

Have never used a Chelate product other than Vita-Ferm, it sure works so I just don't look any further. Hope all this helps everyone!!

Terry

tj1993

Is the best chelated mineral from Vita Ferm or are there other brands that are equally as good?