"Dover"

Help Support Steer Planet:

jaimiediamond

Redbulls has sent me some pictures of the Dover bull (rear view as a 3 year old) as well as all of the attached heifers which are his daughters. The calf is a granddaughter by "Earl".  I think that these are exciting and useful cattle for the beef industry. 

Attachments

• DSC_0203.jpg
    DSC_0203.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_0297.jpg
    DSC_0297.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0307.jpg
    DSC_0307.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_0330.jpg
    DSC_0330.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 198

Okotoks

I love the looks of those two daughters, great looking brood cows!

justintime

Okotoks said:
I love the looks of those two daughters, great looking brood cows!

It has been a few years since I visited Dover Ranch but this is exactly the type of bulls and females I saw there. The first time I was there, they had a helicopter sitting in the front year, that they used to pasture check. The cow herd is solid red in color and many of the cows looked like they had been cloned. They were very, very similar in type. There was some variation in some of the cows, but this was probably the most consistent set of females I have seen in a very long time. The Sindelar's quit registering their cattle many years ago, but they have kept such accurate records that it has been possible to go back and bring some of their cattle to registered status, which is what was done in the case of the Dover bull.Dover Ranch, produced bulls for the large Padlock Ranch in Wyoming for several years.  It is a very unique operation. The ranch headquarters is located just north of Billings and you can see the city from the ranch. I have not had an opportunity to get down that way lately, but if I do get down there, I hope to stop there for another visit.

GM

If anyone goes for a visit, please take some pictures.  I'd love to see what this operation looks like.  I have the 1977 herd bull issue and there's a brief article about the 100 year anniversary of the Sindelar ranch.  I wish the Shorthorn Country would do a featured article on this place in next summers herd reference issue.  I liked the looks of the Dover cattle.  I thought the Dover bulls in Waukaru's sale looked very sound and strong.

sue

GM
I'll do some digging - Nick Hammett ( former ASA) circulated photos of Dover Ranch in a 2004 visit? For a long time a group shot  of DRC mama's was my screen saver. It looked like a group grazing cocao crisps or brown weeds. For those of you that didnt know - it was that group  of pictures that prompted a young Black Angus couple to purchase a group of Dover Shorthorns- A&T. Aaron and Tara bled Black Angus until this shorthorn investment. I recall Rick and Trish Leone of CO made a jump and purchased mature proven females. Obviously Ralph Larson and later Jim Hobbs .  As the story was told to me- Bolze saw a group of Dover Steers on feed ..... and the rest is history.
Leone made ET babies and A&T purchased a group of heifers and AI'd.  I walked through A&T 2 yr olds and have seen a video of Leone ( Peakview) donor line up.
A&T and Peakview made purchases after a series of severe drought(s)on Dover Ranch .  A&T Captain Obvious's grand dam was the oldest at age 12 -  DRC 358k. A&T Open Range is of the same family - His full brother is at Vaith Cattle Company in SD. Galbreath/Shadymaple have the most recent purchase  of that family- A&T Rawhide...  IN/ND. 
I would really like to visit Peakview in Colorado.
I agree Dover or DRC 101VM has been some of my favorite sire groups in recent herd visits

aj

I am sharing a pen with feedlot cattle with Rick at Shorthorn feedout test deal. I need to look them over.They may go back to that breeding.

sue

aj said:
I am sharing a pen with feedlot cattle with Rick at Shorthorn feedout test deal. I need to look them over.They may go back to that breeding.

Drive over to Rick's and report back to me - you're closer. I bet he is still using 3 or 4 brothers?

trevorgreycattleco

sue said:
GM
I'll do some digging - Nick Hammett ( former ASA) circulated photos of Dover Ranch in a 2004 visit? For a long time a group shot  of DRC mama's was my screen saver. It looked like a group grazing cocao crisps or brown weeds. For those of you that didnt know - it was that group  of pictures that prompted a young Black Angus couple to purchase a group of Dover Shorthorns- A&T. Aaron and Tara bled Black Angus until this shorthorn investment. I recall Rick and Trish Leone of CO made a jump and purchased mature proven females. Obviously Ralph Larson and later Jim Hobbs .  As the story was told to me- Bolze saw a group of Dover Steers on feed ..... and the rest is history.
Leone made ET babies and A&T purchased a group of heifers and AI'd.  I walked through A&T 2 yr olds and have seen a video of Leone ( Peakview) donor line up.
A&T and Peakview made purchases after a series of severe drought(s)on Dover Ranch .  A&T Captain Obvious's grand dam was the oldest at age 12 -  DRC 358k. A&T Open Range is of the same family - His full brother is at Vaith Cattle Company in SD. Galbreath/Shadymaple have the most recent purchase  of that family- A&T Rawhide...  IN/ND. 
I would really like to visit Peakview in Colorado.
I agree Dover or DRC 101VM has been some of my favorite sire groups in recent herd visits

Dover on a 329/ CO daughter??? Just thinkin out loud. That may work.......

Davis Shorthorns

Dover is a bull that I have thought about using for a while now.  Now seeing the picts of the daughters I think I might just bite.

sjcattleco

SC will probably never do an article on Dover Sindelar because he is not registering cattle any more..... He was one of my first choices to shop for my new Jr herdsire. We spoke for nearly an hour and I all but begged him to let me come and take my pick and he agreed but reg. papers were out of the question.  So I went to Canada.  Dover told me that "Dover" the bull was the last one from him to ever get papers....

GM

sjcattleco said:
SC will probably never do an article on Dover Sindelar because he is not registering cattle any more..... He was one of my first choices to shop for my new Jr herdsire. We spoke for nearly an hour and I all but begged him to let me come and take my pick and he agreed but reg. papers were out of the question.  So I went to Canada.   Dover told me that "Dover" the bull was the last one from him to ever get papers....

Good point about SC. 

If you were to use an unregistered Sindelar bull on a bunch of registered shorthorn cows, what could you register the calves as?  7/8??? certainly not 1/2??? 

Thanks!
GM

Redbulls#2

Shorthorns4us said:
Now I am intrigued-- why doesn't Dover register shorthorns anymore?

I think that the Sindelar's just felt that the costs of registrations were outweighing the benefits. They do keep outstanding performance records on all of their cattle, including annual udder scores on each cow. Their very successful commercial cattle operation is based on linebred Shorthorn genetics that work well in their harsh environment. They are very selective in what they keep for replacements. The demand for their commercial (non-registered) bulls has outpaced their production the past few years as commercial cattlemen in this part of the country rediscover the maternal heterosis that these cattle can bring to the table when they use these functional "maternal" Shorthorn bulls on their black cows. DRC 101VM had the top in-herd weaning index of the Sindelars 50+ potential bulls kept through weaning. His granddam on both top and bottom is DRC 6167UK that Mr. Sindelar said was, in his opinion, the best cow he ever owned. It's interesting to do an "Animal" search on the ASA website for the "DRC" prefix. These pedigrees go much deeper than many others do.

sjcattleco

Bolze and Hammett were in the process of getting them back on track and up to date on their papers. I believe they were really making some concessions to get some superior cattle back into the herd book.... I think that a major part of the breed is so far from what DRC is that they decided that they didn't need the hassel and that the regs do cost them more than they return. BUT I honestly think that is the truth for the majority of breeders.

garybob

Redbulls#2 said:
Shorthorns4us said:
Now I am intrigued-- why doesn't Dover register shorthorns anymore?

I think that the Sindelar's just felt that the costs of registrations were outweighing the benefits. They do keep outstanding performance records on all of their cattle, including annual udder scores on each cow. Their very successful commercial cattle operation is based on linebred Shorthorn genetics that work well in their harsh environment. They are very selective in what they keep for replacements. The demand for their commercial (non-registered) bulls has outpaced their production the past few years as commercial cattlemen in this part of the country rediscover the maternal heterosis that these cattle can bring to the table when they use these functional "maternal" Shorthorn bulls on their black cows. DRC 101VM had the top in-herd weaning index of the Sindelars 50+ potential bulls kept through weaning. His granddam on both top and bottom is DRC 6167UK that Mr. Sindelar said was, in his opinion, the best cow he ever owned. It's interesting to do an "Animal" search on the ASA website for the "DRC" prefix. These pedigrees go much deeper than many others do.
does anyone have a pic of "LR Randolph 14th"? I would like to see it.

garybob

sjcattleco said:
Bolze and Hammett were in the process of getting them back on track and up to date on their papers. I believe they were really making some concessions to get some superior cattle back into the herd book.... I think that a major part of the breed is so far from what DRC is that they decided that they didn't need the hassel and that the regs do cost them more than they return. BUT I honestly think that is the truth for the majority of breeders.
I wonder if the creation and existence of the "Appendix Registry" had some influence as to why Mr Sindelar quit registering his cattle with the ASA? It is coincidental that BOTH decisions happenned about the same, dang time?

On the flip-side, even as "green-papered" halfbloods, a DRC Bull, or a small set of his heifers, would be a better investment, even with the $10 fee to enroll them in the upgrading program, than a great many purebreds available today.

Just a thought.....
GB

Redbulls#2

[/quote]does anyone have a pic of "LR Randolph 14th"? I would like to see it.
[/quote]

Gary, I think I have one in one of my old Shorthorn Worlds. I will try to find it.

garybob

does anyone have a pic of "LR Randolph 14th"? I would like to see it.
[/quote]

Gary, I think I have one in one of my old Shorthorn Worlds. I will try to find it.
[/quote] As I understand it, according word of mouth, almost everything at DRC is line-bred back to him, right?

GB