droopy calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

my last calf is extremely listless & droopy. Hubby said she was sucking on manure balls on the cow & that was a bad sign. She has nursed because the cow's quarters are down. Any thoughts? No temp or snotty nose or cough.

DSC_0012.jpg

kanshow

I HATE Mud.. 

My advice, for whatever it is worth...  give the calf a shot of an antibiotic, a vitamin A, B12, and also some probiotic.   

red

nephew is going to give some pnc today. I'm probably a worry wart but I hate to see a calf looking off. Yes, my cows have manure balls!

CAB

Cathy, I think that I would give it a product called restart and pull it off the cow overnight. Turn it back in, in the morning and watch it nurse to be sure that it is still finding the teat. JMO. Brent

bwl1101

Don't know where your located but we are selemium deficient around here. I would try a shot of bo-se. This has helped us before, now its part of our new born med regiment. JMO

txguy

Im going to throw in my two cents worth and say give it a shot of multi-min we typically give it and it always seems to help "jump start" the calves. good luck

red

calf got the bo-se at birth. I've suggested the B12. I'm going to see if I can't get calf on teat to make sure she's nursing. Cow has plenty of milk.

thanks so far!

Red

common sense

Red,
I know that I talked to you on the phone but I would try this as well as the BCD Antitoxin booster.  Get that cow in and make SURE that she is milking.  I had a cow with a big udder and the calf would suck but wasn't getting anything.  Make CERTAIN that the cow is indeed giving a good supply of milk and that there isn't any discoloration. It is best to eliminate all other issues before you start stabbing it with a bunch of antibiotics.

red

we gave a shot of penicillin, B 12 & milked cow & drenched calf. No discoloration of milk but cow has large teats. Will keep on top of it.

Red

ridge runner

Red

Just wanted to commiserate with you. Had a calf Sun. that must have had a whale of a time getting out.  Didn't stand on his own until Tue.  Had to milk the cow and bottle feed him for that time.  He sucks the cow all the time now but was very dull for the first couple of days on his feet.  We did just the same as you , B12 and penicillin.  Cow has a huge bag, but after milking her by hand realized that it was mostly swelling.  I have been supplementing him with milk replacer, one bottle at night just to make sure he's getting enough fluid.  Let them out tonight (Thur.).  No great solutions here, just wanted to say I feel your pain.  I worry about them alot too.

red

we drenched her again late last night & separated her & the cow into another pen from the rest. Calf was nursing this morning & acting much better.

Red

red

just checked calf again. Still acting somewhat better but still more listless than I'd like to see. Her one eye is somewhat glazed over/cloudy. Other eye is fine. No temp & usual calf poop. Any ideas on eye?

Red

inthebarnagain

This is our sure fire, kick in the butt calf starter recipe:

1 quart of milk replacer (or colostrum if the calf is less than 24 hours)
1 raw egg
3 Tbsp of honey
1 cup of STRONG black coffee (or really anything with a LOT of caffeine in it)
1 shot of whiskey

Drench the calf and watch it come to life.  I gave this 2 a 10 day old one that had a cold that was so weak I was able to tube him without any help, the next morning he was bouncing around.  The hangover is hell, but well worth it!!! ;D ;D

red

calf doing 100% better. Up nursing & more lively. Still hitting w/ Penicillin.

Red

VJ

inthebarnagain said:
This is our sure fire, kick in the butt calf starter recipe:

1 quart of milk replacer (or colostrum if the calf is less than 24 hours)
1 raw egg
3 Tbsp of honey
1 cup of STRONG black coffee (or really anything with a LOT of caffeine in it)
1 shot of whiskey

Drench the calf and watch it come to life.  I gave this 2 a 10 day old one that had a cold that was so weak I was able to tube him without any help, the next morning he was bouncing around.  The hangover is hell, but well worth it!!! ;D ;D
I did the egg, honey, coffee, and whiskey but couldn't drink the milk replacer. Feel a lot better today!  <cowboy>

Jill

I ran out of milk once and made scalloped potatoes from a box with milk replacer, my husband will never forgive me for that!

justme

If I know Earl...he ate them anyways didn't he? lol (lol) (clapping) then complained